• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M88

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My BN's maint section had two M88's .. One was gas, the other had the M48/M60 diesel pack .. The gas monster was a powerful beast down the trails at any speed.. Could out-tow the diesel, so I was told.. In the mid-2000s the BN was reclassified as Cavalry and had to turn in the heavy armor including its last remaining M88, the diesel, pictured in 2007 before turn-in .. One of the BN's M1A1 Abrams sits ahead of it awaiting final disposition day

20240213_113112.jpg

Getting warm early one chilly fall morning at a pal's tank 40yrs ago .. They had just shut it down and the heat was radiating nicely ;) .. ERDL's were not warm but were decent as a day got hot.. BN supply did not issue any lightweight BDU's when they came out due to the majority of our field time was cold weather and winter.. But whenever we fielded in hot weather I never caught any crap about wearing ERDL's after the BDU's came out.. Otherwise, I wore OG107's right up until the very last day they were authorized, maybe a little afterwards too.. They didn't bother SP5's much at the time. I hated the early BDU's. Especially on the ladies. ;) :ROFLMAO:

20240213_113432.jpg

Last edited:

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SP/5 No better rank!
I loved the slot.... I refused two consecutive E6 promos because I was set up very well and quite comfortable and working mostly-independent as a Sp5 .. As long as the work got done they left me alone, and they let me get it done without interference.. But in short time I was inevitably getting a lot of pressure from Higher to move up so another guy could move up... In that particular Bn, E6 and above meant it was the end of my job(s) and there was only one E6 slot and one E7 slot in my trans section.. The babysitting began and all the sh-- lands right in your lap :confused: .. Did not enjoy the later years as much as the Sp5 years

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Promotions.................. One of the main reasons I went to WOC was because I loved real work. Fixing things. Just the thought of being a First Shirt was a nightmare. I was a SSG, and applied for WOC the second time. Had some Plt Sgt time already, and it just was not for me. So one fine week, Got a notice I was:

One the SFC list
Going to be sent back to the states PCS
Going to NCO advance school
Wife was PG
Accepted to WOC

All in 7 days. I thought I would never see another Troop leadership job. Ha! After WOC, went to Ft. Bliss, then the unit deployed to Germany. CO didn't go. I was the ranking CW2 in the unit, and assumed command for a few months. After that, Plt. Leader jobs in addition to my real job, until I retired. I was such a fool. But in retrospect, loved it and still miss it. In a few days, I will have been retired 31 years.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had spent time as asst plt sgt as well as acting platoon sgt and it def was not my bag.. The command part did not come natural to me and I never grew into it.. Even back as a Sp5 (and subsequent Sgt) I did not enjoy delegating a rough duty or bad gig.. Instead, I would be right there doing it with them and bitching right along with them in the dirt, mud, dust, sleet, snow, ice, and rain as I had done since my earliest days with that unit.. On my last EER as a "Command NCO" I was gigged for not delegating enough tasks. Proud of it.

Sp7's disappeared in the late-70's when I was in Missouri, and by 1983 I was a Sp5 with a son and marital issues.. There were no Sp6's in the Tank Bn unless you were a medic.. Although the BnHq nurse fit into her OG107's quite nicely, the sight of her in BDU's did not entice me to become a Sp6 medic :LOL: .. Besides, she was the Battalion Cmdr's (unmarried) daughter, and an officer.. Double-Trouble !!

Thus I was pushed to obtain "hard" stripes.. "Division-86" brought changes and increased hardships.. We were expected to sacrifice even more family/personal/occupational time in order to fulfill the additional training days allocated to "meet the threat." The Brigade's armor and artillery units had been aggressive in the field since 1980 or '81 if not before, but their extremely-aggressive push was 1986 into 1989, raising hell with employers and marriages.. We did 3-day and 4-day weekends, and for those who could, there were month-long active commitments for certain things at Fort Irwin and in West Germany, and there were extended AT's and "advanced parties" for all who volunteered or be pressured into them.... This also included a few joint Canadian armor field exercises in New Brunswick, summer and winter.. These extras were a huge issue with my employer and my growing side business.. Eventually I asked my next-in-line if he wanted the slot since I was unable to give more extras than I already was... He didn't want it either but reluctantly took it... I side-stepped to become training NCO (Light-to-Heavy wheeled vehicles) and did driver testing/licensing for the Bn.,.. The timing was good because the former guy doing it transferred elsewhere.. It got me away from most of the extra stuff but came with it's own issues (unpaid hours).. Much of the paperwork and class prep had to be done on your own time at home because duty hours were already packed full of paperwork, statewide travel, and giving/receiving training..

There was a CWO2 in the Bn's S3 Section I developed a very good rapport with during this time.. He talked me into taking both the OCS and WOCS written tests, which I did very well on.. The most-important question was not on the tests.. Why would I want to start at the bottom of another ladder (officer) and not do the work I enjoy? As far as becoming a WO, they only had full-time positions.. I had a growing business, being full-time military again was not an option for me.

During regular field ops I would conduct sessions where Trans could practice unusual moves, safe ammo/fuel-handling refreshers, blind-side alley docking, self-recovery, winter driving, etc when they had slow periods.. Also conducted OJT hands-on for newbies coming into the BnHq Trans Section from another MOS.. Those later years, my AT's were spent at NCO school or pushing paper while the guys were at Fort Hood, or Irwin, or Shelby, or Drum.. I was no longer "right there" with them, but I also had no desire to become familiar with the M939-series, HEMTT's, and CHET's when they started rolling in..

A combat engineer at heart loving "vintage" equipment and trucks, I was unhappy, bored, and stressed working around the entire Battalion and HHC... Trained my replacement and went "inactive ready reserve" for a year or two and met wife #2.. Received a discharge short of retirement. Went to re-enlist days after 9-11 but Brigade doc found a problem that my doc would not write off.. Most of the Brigade activated soon thereafter for security duties, and later my old Bn and other elements of the Brigade were sent to Kuwait and Iraq under the 3rd Army.. After that, many from my old Bn were sent to Afghanistan.. I accepted a senior NCO slot in the State Guard where I eventually earned my final rank... Surprisingly, they did not make me have a physical exam.. Once a month we trained out of my former Tank Bn's OMS shop/motor pool, maintaining the Readiness position to fulfill State missions while the guys were overseas.. The excessive rainfall from Hurricane Irene hit the state very hard.. Massive road/bridge/property damage as well as flooding.. We had a hand in the relief efforts and a number of other statewide activities over the years.

At my first time attending the annual VSG statewide muster, 160+ men from line companies located all over the state reported in formation at one central armory location.. 95% of them I had never seen before, and there were vets from the 1960's on up to current years.. I was surprised and happy to see several "old timers" I had previously served with in the Armor Bn .. This included one of my former 1st-Shirts and one of my former platoon sgt's.. There was also a former 64-charlie I worked with who got out when we were Sp5's... In the VSG we both were assigned our own platoons customized to our liking, nobody else in them !!! :LOL: The two of us knew how to get it done ourselves and run in pairs if we had to, just like the old days.. Last but not least was the same CWO2 I had worked with decades ago.. It was good to be part of something with them once again, as well as work with new acquaintances with a wide variety of professional and military experiences ..

Of course, all of this new-found activity and time away from home (and buying my first 5-ton) led to wife #2 trouble/ divorce.. That was 2 strikes.. I am not gonna take a swing with current potential wife #3 , gonna bunt instead.. Although I live in NY on the VT border, I was born/raised in Vt thus allowed to enlist in the VSG and take the Oath.. Now that all the state's ARNG units are back from overseas, the VSG units are a back-burner operation on simmer.. I am currently "inactive" in that military organization but apparently still on the roster, I have not received a discharge.. I suppose if New Hampshire attacks Vermont, I will get a phone call. :LOL:

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Yes sir. I know how that all works. I never met any CWO from ADA, that was not on at least, wife #2 or #3. Glad I was not ADA. There was never enough time, for anything, nor enough people willing to work. So you just had to pick up everyone's slack, and Charlie Mike. How my wife and I made it to 20 years would be a good book.

As a young soldier, no one in the unit was into more trouble, or caused more trouble, than me. It was all too ironic, later when I had the command time. I hated to punish people for things I did on a daily basis. I did the command time because it had to be done. But was very glad to go back to being Shop Officer/ XO. And could only have done it, because I had the very best First Shirt in the Army. Without Coy Bearden's steady guiding hand, I would not have been able to do it.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
But was very glad to go back to being Shop Officer/ XO.
Am glad you enjoyed your time ... My last 5 or 6 years with the armor battalion left me only wishing it were the earlier years and Sp5 again .. Only a few times in the earliest ARNG years did I consider going back to active duty, but I had gained two ranks since and would've forfeited if I had done so .. Spending my final-final years with the VSG gave me closure.. It was similar comraderie, some of the same equipment, and the same military facilities, but all without the stresses or demands of the armor bn .. It was fairly quiet and easy duty while all the guys were overseas, until the hurricane hit.. But it was especially good to share all that time with respected hard-working guys I had known in armor.. It was a good way to close the book. ;) ... ( and hope the phone doesn't ring )

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks