• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M880 light problems

Milt51

Okay, here goes... when I bought my M880 last summer I discovered that it had no lights of any kind whatsoever. I determined that there is power to the three lever switch, but nothing past there. I assumed the switch was bad. Now I have recieved my new-in-the-box three lever switch and .... you guessed it, still no lights of any kind anywhere. I have dealt with automotive wiring issues in the past, but this is a stumper. I also noticed that the small harness that connectes in the lower left corner of the firewall plug that feeds the heater motor is missing. I can't see that being a factor, but without deharnessing my parts truck, I'm not sure where to look first. Any ideas, anyone?

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Grounds

99.5% of light issues are ground related the other .5% is either the 3 lever or the relay next to the fuse block.
The 3 lever needs to be set to service druve for the factory light switch to get power.

N1265

1) Make sure the body of the truck has a good ground, on my truck there is a ground wire that goes to the neg side of the battery to the left fender.

2) When you say " nothing past there " does your horn work in service drive ?

3) If horn works in service drive, check for power at the factory head light switch coming from the 3-lever switch. it should be wire #6 ( I think )

N1265

1) Make sure the body of the truck has a good ground, on my truck there is a ground wire that goes to the neg side of the battery to the left fender.

2) When you say " nothing past there " does your horn work in service drive ?

3) If horn works in service drive, check for power at the factory head light switch coming from the 3-lever switch. it should be wire #6 ( I think )

m880 unimog

all sound advice,ground cables are the point where the circuit is most likely to fail due to corrosion caused by disimilar metals-i have a mobile 'fly lead' that has led indication of any dc voltage-you can switch it between pos and neg-it,s really handy-got in a wal mart last time i was over.enables you to test for live,and/or put a know negative [ or positive ] ground anywhere the cables will reach.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks