• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M880 motor swap ???

macawpat

I have a 76 dodge m880 with the 318 2bbl all stock. I am thinking about putting a 360 4bb in it from a 77 dodge 100. Need the extra power for a snowplow. Am I going to run into any issues or will it just drop in. Any thoughts or comments would be etremely helpfull. Thanks Guys.

Elwenil

You will need to leave the 360 engine mount brackets on the 360 and you will have to use a 360 torque converter or weld the 360 converter weights onto the 318 converter. Other than that, it's a bolt in deal.

Elwenil

You may want to swap the throttle cable over also as the 4 BBL versions are a slightly different length. Similarly, make sure you leave the throttle brackets on the 360. You can make 2BBL stuff work, but if you have the stuff there to have it work correctly, I'd use it. :mrgreen:

macawpat

Ok, I had really bought the truck for a restoration project. I found it in an old farm field, talked the farmer into selling it to me put gas in it and drove it home. But now I need a snow plow. I really hate to make the switch but it would give me a chance to rebuild the 318 and put it back in and to orig condition later if I wanted to I guess.

macawpat

I have no regrets about a plow either. But for the sake of keeping it orig I just have had a hard time with a motor change. Btw N1265 I have a pic of your truck saved in my pics. Sweet truck

nattieleather

My budy back in 1988 got an M882 (I think?) that the motor was removed from it. We got a 360 with the torque converter because the one was gone on the truck and dropped it right in. Ran like a champ!

Elwenil

Agreed. The only external differences between a 318 and 360 are the torque converter balance and the driver's side engine bracket. Everything else is generally the same or very similar and the transmission, exhaust, fuel lines, wiring, coolant hoses, and accessory brackets will all directly bolt up and plug in.

macawpat

Being as how this was meant for the military and H/D use especially with the dana60 and dana 44 why do you think they went with the 318 instead of something with more power.:roll:

Elwenil

Economy and low cost. Keep in mind that this truck replaced the M715, which was a slow, underpowered dog just like 90% of the other military vehicles build before the 1980s. Besides, the 318 is plenty for a 3/4 ton truck that normally would not have been driven over 45 MPH.

N1265

Economy and low cost. Keep in mind that this truck replaced the M715, which was a slow, underpowered dog just like 90% of the other military vehicles build before the 1980s. Besides, the 318 is plenty for a 3/4 ton truck that normally would not have been driven over 45 MPH.

Man ain't that the truth ! sometimes I wonder who talked them out of getting the M880s with a slant six :wink:

Elwenil

Man ain't that the truth ! sometimes I wonder who talked them out of getting the M880s with a slant six :wink:
No doubt. Considering the engines in all of it's predecessors, it could have easily ended up with an inline 6 cylinder, lol.

Given the choice between keeping it orig or putting a biger motor which would you choose.
Not sure if this was directed at me or not, but I'll toss my two cents in. If it were mine, I wouldn't have a problem swapping in a 360. It's still a small block and except for the 4 barrel carb and intake, it's impossible to tell one from the other without looking for casting and stamping numbers. With a stock air cleaner setup on top of the carb, most people would never notice the 4BBL. If you really wanted it to look more authentic, you could swap on a 360 2BBL carb and intake setup. Considering the bolt in nature of the swap, it's very reversible down the road if you want to go to a 100% stock restoration though you may really miss the extra torque and power of the 360. :mrgreen:

N1265

I agree with Elwenil 100% on this one. Altho the 318 does everything I need it to do, If I ever need to replace the motor a fresh 360 will be going in it's place. Even though I do show my truck from time to time and put it in parades the truck is never shown with the hood up, and even if it was only 1 in a 1,000 spectators would know Chrysler products well enough to know that what they were looking at was not original. The M880 is my only truck and does far more " truck stuff " than "show stuff "

It is my opinion that a little extra power in a truck is always a good thing.

macawpat

Yes I am sorry it was directed to Elwinil thanks. The 318 runs great, would I just be better off putting a 360 intake with a 4 BBL and forget the swap. Or would putting in that 360 make much difference in power with the 4BBL. Thanks

Elwenil

Either one will give you a boost in power. The 318 has smaller intake ports on the heads so the ports won't match up perfectly but it will give you a bit more power. Swapping in the 360 will definitely give you a lot more "seat of the pants" feel and it will pull loads around a lot easier. None of the '70s era engines are powerhouses in stock form but all have a lot of potential. Even the 318 can be built with the usual mods to make respectable power but many would consider building a 318 a waste of time if there is a 360 available to be built. As the old saying goes, "There's no substitute for cubic inches" and with the longer stroke of the 360, it has a lot more low end torque. If it were me, and the 360 is in good condition, I'd swap it in as it's an easy bolt in deal and will feel about like you have two 318s under the hood. If you don't like it, or later want to swap back to the 318, the swap only takes a few hours.

macawpat

Ok thank you and all for answering my many questions. I really appreciate your patience and overwelming help. So the 360 is goin in. You all have a wonderfull day.:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks