• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M880 plow truck

mmwb

Last year I picked up a 76, and 77, M880s. The 77 ran, but very poorly and was rough. The 76 didn't run, but appeared to be in far better shape. The idea was to build a plow truck that would last me a few years. Thanks to copious advice, I was able to get it up and running. I'm winding down the end of a plow season with nary a problem.

I wanted a bit more torque than the 318 had and toyed with the idea of an RV cam, but decided that that was more than I should take on at this point. I had a friend who was short on funds and had a good 360 he wanted to get rid of. It was out of a 72 D100. I'd driven it and knew it pulled well. In the process of working on the engine I almost lost a couple of fingers. That is another story. t. Put me back a bit on the schedule. I did find that mechanicing with a large brace on one's dominant hand is somewhat of a challenge. The fool thing was always in the way!

I put a Cloyes double roller timing gear set in the engine, as well as a new oil pump. He'd put both a new water pump and a fuel pump in just a couple of months before I bought the engine. Of course new gaskets all the way around.

I also was concerned with the rear axle as it was quite loose. I ended up finding one off of here: military rebuilt axle in the crate and a crated, rebuilt 727 for $600. Thanks Steve!

The engine came with a set of Hooker competition headers (I'm sure that someday I'm going to regret not ordering a smaller starter). From those I ran 2 1/2" pipe. I put an H pipe in front of the transfer case. That was a challenge. I then ran from the H pipe back and into two welded Thrush mufflers. It has a lovely rumble, but is fairly quiet on acceleration and cruising.

Pushing snow, I worry about temps. I installed remote filters for oil and tranny fluid as well as B&M plate type coolers. Fluids in the transfer case and front axle were changed out.

My plow is an old Western that is era appropriate for this truck. A search on ebay turned up a factory crated plow frame for this truck!

In the end I've had a season of great plowing with no glitches.

Set up to plow:

Front w/ the blade removed:

Back with the salter removed:

There are still a few things in the works. The mastercylinder needs replaced, I plan on replacing ball joints/tie rod ends, etc..., and door and window seals need replaced (Recommendations on sources for those are welcome).

I'm still toying with power steering. It is manual now and most of the time I like it, but at times, the power assist would be nice. Especially when plowing.

I may put a carpet kit in to quieten it down a bit, and then something that will put out some sweet tunes. The dash is in rough shape (at least the face and glove box door), so I may build a custom face and door...

It has the Holly 2bbl carb. It has grunt, but weak on the high end. I've a manifold and Edelbrock 1405 and am considering installing them come summer. I'm not sure it'll make a big difference... If it would give me a bit more high end without sacrificing the low end torque it would be good.

The plow is starting to rot through here and there and it may be time for a new one, though I'll have to custom build a truck side mount.

Nice to have an old work truck that still does its share of work.

willey10

I have had a M880 for 12 years as a plow truck,I love it ,it's reliable ,sure footed,I put power steering on it( a must do for a plow truck). It's got a Fisher 7.5 foot plow.but 12 years of liquid calcium on the roads it's very rust underneath ,enough so I am retiring it, I can't get an inspection sticker, so I am going to use my M1008 for a plow truck, I hope it lives up to the 880, it's good to see when one dies another is being saved !! .

Attachments

N1265

Hey Willey10,

I like the way your set up comes on the outside of the front bumper, Is this normal for the fisher plows ? I have not seen an older dodge with a set up like yours and would like some more information so I know what to look for.

Do you plan on re using this plow on your M1008 or selling it ?

Thanks,

Hal_VT

I have been plowing with a M882 for a two years now. It hasn't all been a bed of roses, see my previous post: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/m880/18738-m882-making-me-crazy.html
but when it works right it is a snow pushing fool. I put power steering on it before I even got a plow. "Armstrong" brand power steering worked well enough for me forty years ago, but the power unit is getting worn, or something like that, and I don't like using it any more. I run two trucks, the other is a 1979 Ford F150 short box. I use which ever one is working best on a particular day, but the Dodge is automatic vs. manual in the Ford, and I like it better except for the forty acre turning radius. Both have Fisher plows, 8 foot on the Dodge, 7.5 foot on the Ford. I have a wing for the Dodge, but I can't carry it at the same time as the plow. For the Ford I also have rear mounted box plow, works real good for cleaning out garage doors, also clearing the snow from in front of them.

N1265, All the older fisher plows are set up that way. If you go to Fisher's web site and dig around long enough, you can find the manual, with diagrams, for most any vehicle they made a mount for.

N1265

Thanks HAL_VT,

I have been kicking around the idea of getting a plow for the M880 because the mower is getting a beating plowing the driveway.

N1265

Well, after spending all summer getting the right era plow parts the project is finally completed.

I decided to go with a Meyers set up because it was the original equipment on the
Sno- Commanders from Dodge in the '70. Complete plows from this era are hard to find in good shape at a decent price, so needles to say I spent a lot of time on Craigs List this year.

The plow itself was re skinned and all plow brackets were wire brushed down, primed and painted in Rust-Oleum. The mounts and brackets came off a 1979 Dodge that was so rusted I think they took it to the junk yard on a flatbed ( un-safe to tow ) everything bolted right up with existing holes that were already in the frame, easy as pie...

I decided to make a box for the switches because I did not want to drill holes in the dash, It also makes it nice not having to always reach up to the switches. I also wanted to be able to remove the whole shebang without leaving any evidence of a plow being installed, in case I get another M880 in the future and this truck gets regulated for only parade and show duty.
( as originally intended )

Here are a few pictures...

Attachments

N1265

That's good advice, And I all ready have given this some thought.

The box is wired with a pig tail that disconnects, when not plowing I simply unplug it and throw it under the seat....

If I have a problem of it moving while plowing I plan on wire tieing it threw the mounting holes and the " middle persons " the seat belt

nattieleather

First let me say that these are your trucks and please use them as you wish, but for the life of me why would you want to subject your 30 year old HMV to plow work? Between the road salt and wear and tear that plows put on the front end to me it doesn't seem to be practical. Get a used civy truck and beat it up and leave the HMV safe and warm in the garage. After all the old girls have earned the time off after serving their country... :)

Again not saying you shouldn't use your truck how you want to just don't understand.

N1265

My driveway is about 3 truck lengths long and 2 truck lengths wide at the widest part, there is also a short ( about 300ft. ) one way street that my driveway comes out on.

The one way street is very low on the city's priority list, they usually get to it about the 2nd day after a big snow fall. My one neighbor is elderly and needs to get down this road in a RWD car and has issues when the snow is deep, It is better for me to plow the street on my own than to have her ( or anybody else ) get stuck and then beet on my door asking if I can tow them out, witch has happend more than once.

( as you guys know, when anybody gets stuck in the snow they always flock to the guy who has a MV sitting in the driveway... )

As you can see from the pictures, it is such a small area that it does not justify getting a whole diffrent truck just to plow this, around here you will pay at least $1,000. for an old rusted out truck that happens to have a plow on it. These trucks are such an eye sorer that I would not be able to stand having them sitting on my property ( even out back ) and when you figure in the cost of plates and insurance it's just not worth it .

I currently have about $550. and 40 hrs. in this plow set up, so for me this was a no brainer.

Here are a few pictures of the area I am talking about. Also notice how some Goober used a front end loader to put the snow on the sidewalk...
Guess who had to shovel it out by hand :-x ( and who will use his plow truck to clear the sidewalk next time ) :smile:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks