• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M880 power steering box ?

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
since M880's didn't have power steering, probably not.
Is it a picture of one that is for sale or one you have?
If it's one you have, if it bolts up & turns the right way, it is the correct one.
Too hard to tell anything from the picture provided

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will go look at my 78 today to confirm, as I believe the pictured unit is 78 or newer standard rotation.
The 75-77 set up uses a reverse rotation steering box.

To make the pictured ps unit work you would also need the drag link & the steering column also.

Last edited:

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
77 M880 with power steering. Only change was steering box with pitman arm.
010.jpg

78 W400 with factory power steering
009.jpg
as you can see the mounting to the frame rail is different as well as the drag link (relay arm) and steering column.

Vin vs year
W24BE7Sxxxxxx is a 77 w200
W41CF8Sxxxxxx is a 78 w400 cab & chassis drw

Last edited:

RichM882

Oh dear. It would seem that I have bought a 1978 and onwards steering box. It looks exactly like the second picture. I will have to contact the guy who sold me the box and see if he will sell me the relay rod and steering column. It is a bit of a bugger because I want to take her and a Kaiser 715 to a show next weekend and the wife will not drive her without PAS !!!

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
manual steering tip:
they don't turn easy with foot on the brake.
with foot off brake and rolling they are easier to turn.

In the picture of the 77 with power steering, those are 36" humvee tires, notice the nut on the steering arm, it is shiny because if you turn too far to the right it will rub.

The 78 steering setup provides better clearance for large tires on right turns. (32" tires on my 78 in the picture)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks