• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M880 questions

Elwenil

Main things to stop a 727 from leaking are to make sure that the pan's sealing surface is flat and smooth. If it's in bad shape, replace it and while you are at it, get a deeper pan with a drain plug from Mopar Performance. Next thing is the gasket. You have to pay attention and put the proper torque on the bolts especially if you use a cork gasket. Another neat thing is that Mopar also offers a new style gasket that is plastic, and reusable. Pop in a dealer and ask for part number 2464324AC.

Ross

I had endless electrical problems and went with replacing the harness'. I bought a cab, engine, ignition and headlight harness from Saturn and went at it. The replacement was alot easier than I thought, though I've done alot of electrical work before. Still, almost all of the connectors are actually different from each other, or won't reach the wrong one, etc. so there's only a couple places you could screw up. If you do, it's pretty easy to find, since it's only going to be a couple places that you can. The only thing that was a pain was the coloring was different on the new, GI harness than the MOPAR manual says. So a red with white stripe might be grreen with white stripe, etc. The good thing is you only need to know the colors if you're tracing a problem, not really to hook it up.

My tranny seeps as well, but it's due to a stripped bolt hole. It just won't tighten to make a perfect seal. I also bought the MOPAR deeper pan kit. It's basically the pan, seal, and extensions for the filter and pick-up. I had to move the exhaust crossover slighty while installing, but you just loosen a couple bolts and shove it, then shove it back and tighten the exhaust when you're done. It gives you more fluid, and the fluid's coming from a lower point, so you don't end up with the tranny slipping in a turn if you're low from the fluid sloshing around. It's a pretty nice set-up really.

I suppose I'll need to helicoil the hole one of these days, but right now there's plenty more to do.

citizensoldier

A few more question for you guys??

Will the 16.5 hummV rims fit on this truck? What is the biggest tire you could put on a stock truck. Only guage that is working is the volt meter?? No driving lights for speedo and guages. Whats the best thing to check other that the fuse? Will GMC 16 inch rims fit the hub on this truck? :roll:

N1265

The back spacing on the Humv rims are diffrent than that of the stock rims... although you see many trucks with humve tires on them I have never seen one with the humve rims. the chevy 16in. rims, ( and I suspect the gmc rims also ) will defenatly not fit over the rear hub.

The power on these trucks comes from the alternator straight into the alt gage and then to the fuse box, where it is then re-distributed to where it is needed. there is a conversion that some people did to eliminate this. your problem may be with a conversion ( if it was done on your truck) or a problem in the fuse box itself. It is also possiable that the rest of the gages were simply disconnected to track a electrical problem in the truck and never hooked back up.

I will post a link to a site that a lot of morpar people hang out on. they have been a great help to me.

http://powerwagonadvertiser.com/forums/index.php?s=

good luck with your project and dont get discouraged with the electrical stuff. these trucks are pretty simple to keep running.

Nick

McGuyver

I don't think the Alfaheaven M880's are running the humvee tires on humvee wheels. It looks as though they are running the stock M880 16.5" wheels. These wheels are only 6.75" wide and are way too narrow for these tires, espescially since they are bias ply tires. There are people who have bought the humvee wheels, cut the centers out, and welded new centers in and given them a more appropriate wheel offset. Here's a link to a business that will do this work for you:

http://www.usa6x6.com/

citizensoldier

I think,,,

I think he is refering to some bad workmanship performed by the above mentioned business. :x I remember reading something about them and bad welds along time ago. I could be wrong but.. maybe he will elaberate. :wink:

citizensoldier

So whats the biggest tire you can put on the stock 16.5 rims? 36 inch tall? 16.5/305's?
I am still tracking down the wiring problems.. It all appears to be 12 volt.. It has the military slave cable hook up in the front, and the back hook up for military trailers. I did not know they had 12 volt versions of this? I thought those type of hook ups were only 24volt... I never messed with anything military newer than 1963...
Did they ever put factory winches on these trucks?

citizensoldier

So whats the biggest tire you can put on the stock 16.5 rims? 36 inch tall? 16.5/305's?
I am still tracking down the wiring problems.. It all appears to be 12 volt.. It has the military slave cable hook up in the front, and the back hook up for military trailers. I did not know they had 12 volt versions of this? I thought those type of hook ups were only 24volt... I never messed with anything military newer than 1963...
Did they ever put factory winches on these trucks?

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem is that the stock rims are only 6.75 wide.
and the choices in currently available tires is limited.the widest tire you could put on is about 10.5.
Go to tirerack.com and search for tires in the 16.5, last time I looked they has 8.75 x 16.5 highway tires and 35 x 12.50's.
I have 33 x 11.5 16's on my M882, the fronts will rub if turned sharply off road. I got one of the last sets of BFG 31x10.50x16.5 All Terrains n my M886 (the stock 9.50 16.5's are 31's)

No winches :cry:

citizensoldier

How are they getting the old hummer tires to work? Arent they about 36 inches tall? I see in some of your pictures on the project page you have the old wagon wheel style on some of your trucks. Are those 16 inch or 16.5? I have a set of 16 inch 8 lug alluminum wheels off of my 3/4 ton GMC. I am going to see if they will fit. One post says yes and one says they wont fit over the drum.. :cry:
I am asking all this because the one we have has one tire with bad bands in it and it pulls when going fast. All the tires are like new but seem to be out of round from sitting so long. Kind of like driving a tractor at 55mph. :roll:
Thanks for sharing your info... Hope you join MMMT and we see one of your trucks at the Clare show or maybe you can make the show in Grayling? The adventure Rally... :)

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Humvee tires will fit on the rims and on the truck.
with the tire being almost 6 inches wider than the rim they will be quite rounded.
Pic of 36 in, on stock.
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/4568/dotslf9lv.jpg
same tires with lift & wider rims
http://steelsoldiers.com/modules/PNphpBB2/files/ahnuld_w_new_shoes_008_106.jpg

Without a lift you could rip the front fenders off when turned.
The Ford and GM rims will not fit over the rear hubs, the hole is too small.
They will fit on the front though.

I have 33 x 11.5 on 16 x 8 wagon wheels on one of mine and 33 x 12.5 on 16.5 x 10 wagon wheels on the parts truck

Planning on Clare & Grayling this year, Dayton, maybe with my daily driver

N1265

No factory winches..... but I have seen one with an aftermarket winch and bumper and it looked great.

If you are partial to those gmc rims you can take them to a machine shop and have the hub hole machined out. My little brother had this done once, said it was a PITA, but it is still an option.

the bolt pattern should be the same if the rims are for A 90s era gmc / chevy or older, it will be the diamiter of the hub hole that will get you... also a 8 lug ford rim that is older than 1998 ? should fit the M880 without any mod.
( so I am told by the Morpar crowd )

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks