• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M880 steering knuckle inner oil seal # needed

Carter

I found that my 1977 M880's Dana 44 was missing the inner oil seal when I disassembled it to replace the bearings and the axle universal joint. Someone had failed to install the seal and I am unable to locate a replacement without a part number. I got the truck from the local city police who had it for several years, no wonder the bearings were going bad, water had gotten in and rusted them and most of the grease was missing. I know how to grease the front bearings thru the hole in the hub but without a seal it doesn't stick around long. I tried NAPA and several local parts houses with no luck, they have no listing for it, also called the largest Dodge dealer locally and was told they don't have books that go back to 77. Also phoned Memphis Equip. and VPW with no luck and don't know who else to check with about it and don't want to take the other side apart to get a number off the seal unless I have to. Can anyone help me out with a number or a source for the seal?
Thanks, Carter

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chicago Rawhide CR26153. That will be $1.00

Saturn Surplus may still have the spindle rebuild kits.

N1265

The parts store has no clue what a M880 is, It is not in their books. Therefore when going to a parts store, tell them you need ( whatever parts ) for a 1977 Dodge W-200. this is the information they need to look it up in their books....

Carter

98hd, NDT, N1265 and lacoda56, since I am not sure what I need as I have never had this axle apart before, or any Dana, thanks for the responses. The seal I need is for the steering knuckle and I have a Chicago Rawhide seal (26153) but it seems to large to fit although it will fit the bearing retainer. I'll try again and see if I can get it to press into the knuckle.

I didn't tell them I needed parts for a M880 as I am aware that has no meaning to the average counter person but I told them I was looking for parts for a 1977 Dodge W200 with a Dana 44 open knuckle front axle. I was able to get the axle bearing set and spacer as a kit (NAPA part # BR25) and the axle's universal cross and caps (NAPA 371) however they showed a listing for the knuckle seal, the name came up and the application, just not the number.

Thanks guys for the very helpful info, I'll keep you posted as to my progress. Carter

Attachments

Carter

Thanks everyone for the help, I needed it. I made a seal driver from the race from the old and damaged wheel bearing, an 8" length of 2" dia. pipe and a steel plate with a hole I cut on the lathe all welded together so it would slip over the axle stub and was able to fit the 26153 seal I had into the knuckle after I cleaned up the burrs someone had left as a result on careless work, not me! I have it all back together now, the truck is back on it's wheels, ready for a test drive today.
Cost: Wheel bearing and spacer set, $94.37 2 Seals, $31.98 Axle U joint kit, $26.69 Total: $ 153.04
I wonder what the labor would be from a garage if the work would have been done my someone else.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks