• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M880's 2nd Life

MikePeters

Thanks for that ! I'd rather not go with used junk yard bolts so ..Mcmaster will be great and maybe even better than OEM.
I really appreciate all the help from you guys, your opinions and tips are making this easier ...thanks :beer:

nattieleather

Mike, just get a good automotive paint for the frame. Your local parts store that carries paint should be able to hook you up with a semi-gloss black. The POR-15 is what is going to protect the frame the top coat is for finnish more than anything.

MikePeters

Hi Gents ..At last I can updadte the Thread with some GOOD news . After 5 long long Months of letting it sit outdoors..all Winter, without making any progress ..the Drive Train was finally installed today.
The Mechanic unfortunately had (still has) Family problems ..his Mom has Cancer. So understandably , my 880 was the last thing on his mind.
Before Winter set in , I was able to treat the Frame with the Por15 so at least that did afford some protection.The Por15 lived up to its reputation .

Attachments

nattieleather

Didn't you need to like have it done and finnished before the end of November??? I'm glad that your friend has been understanding...nothing worse than working on a project and having to move it in the middle because someone wants it gone.

Truck is looking good! Keep up the work and keep us posted.

MikePeters

Yup ..November ...that DREAM ended quick. To make it worse, there was no room to store the new 318 or Tranny or Seat etc indoors so ..all the new parts sat outside for the whole winter.
I don't know if I'll run into any NEW problems now because of that but ...I already had to buy a whole new Dash because the old one (which was perfect) was destoyed by the Weather.
I'm pretty bummed about the whole thing.
I'm probably the only one with a Pile of Parts that are still Registered and Insured ..

Maybe the worst is over now and this "nightmare" will get back on track.

MikePeters

5 Months have passed since my last Post ..a lot more delays but FINALLY we’re getting somewhere now. The new Cab had a few spots re-welded ..I hit it with the Por15 and as soon as it was "tacky" , I gave it a first coat of OD ...now it's on the Frame, Dash is in , new Wiring Harness/Heater Blower Motor/Wiper Motor, new seats and soon all new Glass. I have to give a lot of credit to 2 dealers that have been a great help with almost every 880 part I needed , Jim Lane from Shade Tree Recycling and the crew at Saturn Surplus. If you have an 880 , it would be well worth your getting to know them.Here are a few new "Before & After" shots so you can see how it’s coming out . I'll start with the Cab ..there were a few weak spots so we decided to replace a few sections --

Attachments

MikePeters

Recovry4x4 said:
Thanks for the update. Some pics I really needed in this thread
Hi Kenny ..Were you looking for certain close ups ? Let me know and I'll be glad to get them.

And thanks Elwemil & Maddawg ..I can't tell you how happy I am not seeing it in a pile anymore ! The Doors went on today and , we had a minor setback. the new Mallory Distributor I bought from Summit would not work with the 880's orig Electronic Ignition set up. So , I called Shade Tree and Jim had a barely used one ...he sent it overnight.
Tomorrow the new Windshield and Rear Window get installed ...hopefully we'll be able to wake up the 318 and I HOPE I'll have it on the road by Friday.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm picking up an M880 tomorrow. I need to install towbar adapters and looking at the front crossmember bare like that lets me know what I heed to do.

MikePeters

Recovry4x4 said:
I'm picking up an M880 tomorrow. I need to install towbar adapters and looking at the front crossmember bare like that lets me know what I heed to do.
Good deal Kenny and , I hope everything goes smoothly for you ...take some shots for us !

MikePeters

I FINALLY -after 1 YEAR ...got it back YESTERDAY !!!!

all back together ..the Windshield ended up smashed by accident so , I had a new one and a new rear window installed. ..It has a few "Bugs"

I put "Evens" anti freeze in it (4 gallons and it still needs more) but , it is running hot ..almost to the point of overheating.
The timing was checked so it's not that, it has a 180deg Thermostat /new pump/new hoses and the Radiator is only 4 years old so ..

It's running rough and has trouble idling ...we checked for vacume leaks , nothing.
The trans shifting isn't right ...feels like it's staying in 1st longer than it should and then shifts up.
We couldn't get the Altenator to charge ...I bypassed the AMP Meter and it worked right away. Wish there was a way to still have that Amp Guage working though.

Hopefully these small problems will be fixed this week ...then the only thing left to do will be the new Camo Paint Job.
I wasn't shooting for a full blown restoration but , this was pretty close.

I can't begin to tell you how happy I am sharing these new photos with you ...took long enough huh ? :D

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks