• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M886 power steering help

44CCKW

I installed power steering on my M880 last year .No problem ,Everything went smooth.I decided to do the same to my M886 today.Everything bolted right on.BUT,When I went to test it before putting the wheels back on I noticed it was steering backwards.When I turn it left it goes to the right and when I turn it right it goes to the left.I have full steering motion side to side,It is just backward.Now I'm thinking this may be because the steering box is from a 2WD truck.Can this be fixed?Or do I need a box from a 4x4 truck??

44CCKW

When the steering box was in the 2WD truck it was bolted with the out put shaft facing down.When I bolted it in the M886 the out put shaft is facing out toward the tire.I had to change the arm from the box.The 2wd has a flat arm and the M886 has a bent drop arm.

Blind Driver

When the steering box was in the 2WD truck it was bolted with the out put shaft facing down.When I bolted it in the M886 the out put shaft is facing out toward the tire.I had to change the arm from the box.The 2wd has a flat arm and the M886 has a bent drop arm.
A pic is priceless :popcorn:

Wy-m880

72 - 77 2wd have standard rotation, and 4wd have reverse rotation boxes, and almost bet that you feel alittle foolish right now, lmao! trust me i have done far worse lol

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
72 - 77 2wd have standard rotation, and 4wd have reverse rotation boxes, and almost bet that you feel alittle foolish right now, lmao! trust me i have done far worse lol
and the worst part is that they look identical :shock:
Seriously, Same dang Saginaw housing on both std & reverse rotation boxes!

Wy-m880

another box, id say its internals and worm gears, cheaper and less mind boggling to get 4wd one, i just got a 74.5 year ps unit and axle with lock out hubs, just swapped whole thing last weekend, i heard chevy had same style box but unsure

ironbulance

The old chevy 4wd have straight rotation and looks identical to the dodge box I found that out the hard way once when I was looking for a box in a junkyard, I bought it and realized it at home before I installed it when I put it beside my old dodge one and spun the shaft and noticed the pitman going opposte direction

Wy-m880

ironbulance, but does chevy(GM) use different for 2wd as 4wd? and yes bob its a havoc if you come across one unbolted and laying about i guess there has to be a stamp or some thing or possible marking to look for for ID, and other than i guess testing your self is only sure way, sorry 44cckw for your luck![thumbzup]

Amer-team

Thanks for the tip on this. I have an M886 and have been considering upgrading to Power steering and have been looking at a donor truck that is 2wd. That would have been a bugger to get it installed and found that it didn't work right.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reverse steering; AH, the memories that brings! When i was maybe 26 I built a "tractor" out of a metal frame that was lying around, the rear axle and two transmissions out of a Rambler, and a Dodge straight front axle. I mounted the steering box the most convenient way. When i drove it the first time, I found I turned the wheel left to go right, right to go left! Oh well, I wanted to drive the tractor, not fix it right away. No problem around the farm. However, we used to go to a large pond about a mile down the road to skate. I decided it would be fun to take the tractor, 20' of hay rope, and a large enameled Coke sign to the pond. A couple of guys could sit in the sign, be pulled by the tractor, which would then spin out and play crack the whip with the guys in the sign. It was a lot of fun! However, to get the tractor to the pond, one of my friends said he could pull me with his car to save my fuel for more fun. I told him to not go over 10 MPH because I would be busy given the steering problem. Of course he decided to give it more speed, up to 30 MPH. I am bouncing along on this thing, telling myself constantly "right is left, left is right" to keep it going straight until we got there. I was too shaken after we arrived to really give him what I thought he deserved for doing that!
Survivor Marti

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks