• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M88A2 Hercules APU

jesusgatos

Anybody know anything about these units? Looks like they use a HATZ 2G40 two-cylinder diesel engine, have a 300 Amp 28V alternator and a Bosch hydraulic pump of some sort. Would love to know more about these things, as I just struck a deal on one but haven't even seen it yet.

helomedic1171

I can tell you it's a generator/APU out of a large tracked wrecker, which was built on the M1A1 chassis. the engine in an M88 Herc was a V12 Diesel but that's not the one that runs the APU..

, which was built on the M1A1 chassis. the engine in an M88 Herc was a V12 Diesel but that's not the one that runs the APU..
M60 series... not the M1 series chassis............. Considering they've been in service since 1961.............

The M88a1E! & M88A2 are upgrades to handle the M1 series..... but it's still the same Chassis.

helomedic1171

Yup. I almost posted "the originals were built on the M60 chassis, and later models were built on the M1 chassis..." but honestly, I'm a medic and was going by what a track mechanic had told me. thanks for the correction. I know they've been around for-freaking-ever. I love em though, they're big and noisy and they can do a crapload of work. good find on the APU.

MarcusOReallyus

the engine in an M88 Herc was a V12 Diesel but that's not the one that runs the APU..

They were gassers when I was in. Unreal. An air-cooled V-12 with 4 magnetos to fire the spark plugs, 1200 cubic inches, and 1500 horsepower. The exhaust was blue at night.

I raced one, once. I was in an M113 towing an M113. He was towing an M60, M551 (Sheridan), and an M113.

He stomped me into the dust. :mrgreen:

Must have been that APU helping him out. :whistle:

12Bravo

I don't know about the APU in the Hercules model, they just started fielding them when I was getting out. On the A1 the starter generator is the same as what is used on the 4.2Kw 28Vdc gen sets.

ETN550

Anybody know anything about these units? Looks like they use a HATZ 2G40 two-cylinder diesel engine, have a 300 Amp 28V alternator and a Bosch hydraulic pump of some sort. Would love to know more about these things, as I just struck a deal on one but haven't even seen it yet.
The 2G40 looks like a current production engine. Some info comes up on searches and there seems to be a few in the marketplace.

Did you get the two take outs that went recently at Warner Robins? I saw those. They looked like a decent gamble.

The mounting arrangement looks weird and some work may be needed to reconfigure them. Or just strip out the engine and do something with it.

What are your plans for it?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks