• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M900 comfort upgrades

expeditionnw

Hi all.

I just spent 17hrs in a m936a1, on a truck recovery mission.

a few things i learned:

when it rains outside, it rains inside. Even with a hard top truck.

more heat comes thru the rear slider window than the vents. Seriously.

the defrost knob is better used to hang a coffee cup from, than to direct any air to the windshield.

I need a dome light.

The cab was definitely designed for shorter people than my 6’2”.

So... What have you guys done to build in creature comforts? At this point im halfway considering a cab swap- international/freightliner etc.

also, this thread is worthless without pics so heres a glamor shot from late last night.

Attachments

Last edited:

Daniel4ball

Also interested, still getting through past posts to gain knowledge, took delivery of a 1984 M923 last saturday and agree with 'expeditionnw'. Welcome to the club from WA State!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Air ride seat, Air conditioning/Heater combo. It blocks the back window off so you can seal that up. You will sweat with the heater on low or the valve simply open . or upgrade to a diesel fired arctic one. Spray Foam every possible opening and crack in the cab. Replace your windshield seals and seal up the hinges then seal it even more with silicone. You will still have some water come in. It is just typical.
You can find the armor/tank domelights on ebay for cheap.
Mine is setup nice and I am 6ft2 240lbs. I sleep in mine very nicely with a dog bed in the front. I do have dual air ride seats and a toolbox. I can do 11hours in the drivers seat in mine and never get out. Not be stoved up or hurt any. I can run 4 to 5,000 miles a week in my truck and be fine.

Your heater may not be blowing at full power if a critter might have built a nest in the blower motor housing.

You may want to check and probably replace all your cab mount bushings they tend to be dry rotted and make it ride pretty crappy in the cab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69OfiBbPk6w

Attachments

expeditionnw

Thats great to hear Wes, thanks for chiming in!

my blower motor actually packed up and left this trip, but not much difference there. It would blow air nicely out a port aimed at my feet, but nothing out of the defrost. My old 923a2 also didnt have any defrost to speak of, just assumed it was part of the joys of a 5 ton.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
GSS air rides out of/for
a Franken cab are a must.
They are great for bumpy roads. Not for long cab rides. A civilian seat is soo much better as truckers like comfort. My seat has 9 adjustable settings and is heated. And was $150. Pfft. Best investment besides my 37 degree blowing air conditioning

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

lindsey97

My freightliner dump truck is a junky pile, but it has a brand new $400 seat in it. Best money ever spent. Second best is an iPod and a nice set of Beats headphones.

74M35A2

Air seat will allow you to lower it. You may not need a dome light after you learn where all the controls are. Fuel fired heater blows hot and hard with no warm up time. I have one for sale if you want. I prefer not to block the rear window, and I like a bench seat on the pass side for more riders, each their own.

Several ways to achieve each of your goals.

expeditionnw

Air seat will allow you to lower it. You may not need a dome light after you learn where all the controls are. Fuel fired heater blows hot and hard with no warm up time. I have one for sale if you want. I prefer not to block the rear window, and I like a bench seat on the pass side for more riders, each their own.

Several ways to achieve each of your goals.
Wouldnt lowering the air seat give even less leg room? I agree about the rear window. It seems to me, the heater should* work better than it does. If I could just get air from my defrost vents Id be a happy camper. im going to look at replumbing the hvac so it only feeds defrost. Reaching under dash, I could feel a acceptable volume of air blowing, just not anywhere useful.

74M35A2

Not sure where your height is the issue, be it knees or head. These trucks have low interior ceiling, so I guessed that was it.

The defrost is selected by a simple diverter box under the pass side dash. There are 3 or so cloth hoses attached to this, some or all of them may be ripped or chewed. Even when the hoses are good, the blower is weak and far away. It will not blow what you are used to in a conventional car or truck.

expeditionnw

Im more concerned with leg room than head.

It did seem there was plenty of air coming out the bottom vent. if I could even get half that from the defrost well then..... Im going to poke around under there in the next few days.

Csm Davis

Wouldnt lowering the air seat give even less leg room? I agree about the rear window. It seems to me, the heater should* work better than it does. If I could just get air from my defrost vents Id be a happy camper. im going to look at replumbing the hvac so it only feeds defrost. Reaching under dash, I could feel a acceptable volume of air blowing, just not anywhere useful.
Dont know why you shorter guys have so many problems with the M939 series cab. I am 6'8" 340 lbs with a destroyed back, 7 major back surgeries, I have put thousands of miles in stock setups. Learn about your trucks the stock seat has many adjustments, try tightening the spring for more leg room, and raise the front edge of the bottom of the seat, the back of the seat can be adjusted and or modified to get a little more. Also make sure the seat moves all the way back to the wall many are rusty and will need a little persuasion to go fully rearward. The air ride are nice but not needed by most.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Csm Davis

As to the heaters they will run you out if it is properly maintained I just took mine out for a run in 15f and 10 miles down the road I had to turn it down. The back window is useless on the wrecker so cover it if you like.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put A/C in my deuce. Best mod ever. I live in Florida. Couldn't do without it! Nice install on your 5 ton!
DHennon
Longwood, FL

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agree on the AC as the first install since I hate heat. But then again, I did put a new seat in it while it was still cool. It’s a tie. Do both. It’s a must. I looked at junkyards and they wanted ridiculous money for their seats. Beat up 200,000 mile seats for $1k each. No thanks.

I bought some Corbeau racing seats and bolted them to the stock base. Not as good as air ride but better than the stock seat. Eventually upgraded to airride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

74M35A2

I picked up an air ride seat and base for $150. You guys need to cruise CL more often and post want ads there. Adjustable arm rests, air lumbar back, a$$ squeezers, all of it. Was going to put the seat below on the air adjust base, but the seat that came with it is pretty darn comfortable.

RS.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks