• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M915 A/C install

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got busy today installing dilvoy's A/C kits, intended for the Oshkosh MTVR, on the M915. The first order of business was the compressor. As luck would have it, Cummins left an unused sheave on the accessory drive pulley, and the belt size matched the pulley on the compressor perfectly. Next, to mount the compressor, I used the bracket intended for the Caterpillar engine, but cut it off and welded it to a flat plate, which is bolted to the top of the power steering gear mounting frame. The picture with the assy on the fender shows the MTVR bracket tacked to the new flat mounting plate. More stiffening braces will still be welded in. Note that the MTVR bracket is tipped back a few degrees to match the angle of the engine in the frame. I was a little concerned that the engine would torque around under load and loosen the belt, but I checked this and the engine does not move. Amazingly, the belt intended for the MTVR application was a perfect fit length wise as well.

Next comes the condenser in front of the radiator. Stay tuned . . .

Attachments

wehring

luck...

Franz,

I don't believe that there is as much "luck" mixed into the equation as you let on. That is like saying that David Tubb was "lucky" when he cleaned the 600yd string.

Would you care to take a look at what it will take to put one of those in either the M923E3 (3126 Cat) or the M925 (250 Cummins)?

I will return from the desert on Monday... gonna take a few weeks off. LOTS of wrench time to catch up on.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry Streetbike, project is a bit on high center while I take advantage of the dry weather to get some sandblasting done. I did take a lot of measurements and the evaporator/heater housing will more or less fit where the heater in the 915 is. Some sheet metal work will be required to make the discharge duct point upward.

cornrichard

There is a video on youtube of a 915 doing a burnout. Look at the roof and you will see a rooftop condenser. Looks like it was filmed somewhere hot.

StreetbikeDepot

Looks good, I'll post up some pics once I get it painted. My Red Dot is the R-6100, I bought it used and the plsatic cover was britle, so I broke up a sheetmetal cover that is fashioned like the original plastic cover. The unit itself is @ 7.5" tall.

the R-6100 is a through the roof unit, so it is necessary to cut a small hole that about 11" square. The controls and outlets are overhead and fit nicely behind the dome light.

http://www.rdac.com/pages/product_pages/units_pages/6100_unit.html

Last edited:

hoopsoft

Here was the bracket he used.

AP AIR, INC - Part Details

This was the unit be got

Red Dot's Product Line

(picked it up for $200 off craigs list, how sweet is that)

The cover was cracked so he made a typical metal cover like what your used to seeing. Said he got it all running this afternoon.

Here's the best part, all the dealers in our area for this company didn't sell parts for AP anymore, so he's a dealer for them now. So now you guys know where to get your brackets from. (Streetbike Depot) in case it wasn't obvious.

The last 95 degree trip kinda sucked, glad he got the air up and running!

M920

I got the Red Dot R-9727 rooftop unit off of ebay about eight years back. It is a real heavy duty unit for construction and mining service. It has an all metal housing and a piggyback mounted freshair intake filter so it keeps the cab slightly pressurized. This helps to keep the dust out on dirt roads.

The only trouble I had with it was one compressor clutch failure and that was an easy fix. I can supply some close-up and inside pics if anybody is interested in this set-up.

I did re-inforce the roof on the 920A1 with two pieces of small channel, to deal with the extra weight bouncing around on top.
Don't know if it really needs it but I felt it would not hurt to be safe.....

Soni

Attachments

Bighurt

I got the Red Dot R-9727 rooftop unit off of ebay about eight years back. It is a real heavy duty unit for construction and mining service. It has an all metal housing and a piggyback mounted freshair intake filter so it keeps the cab slightly pressurized. This helps to keep the dust out on dirt roads.

The only trouble I had with it was one compressor clutch failure and that was an easy fix. I can supply some close-up and inside pics if anybody is interested in this set-up.

I did re-inforce the roof on the 920A1 with two pieces of small channel, to deal with the extra weight bouncing around on top.
Don't know if it really needs it but I felt it would not hurt to be safe.....

Soni
I would love to see some inside shots.

Not only to see more of your rig, but the AC setup as well.

Thanks

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if the rest of the install was done? I'm planning to start putting A/C in my m915 soon, and I want to know/see if buying the MTVR kit will be worth it, even throwing a lot away, before I decide how to go about it.

I too was wanting to put the evaporator and heater unit in the same location the stock heater is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks