• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M915 Belt driven hydraulic pump?

Irv

The M915 has no hydraulic pump on the transmission. I would like to install a belt driven hydraulic pump on the front of the motor to make a wet kit. Has anyone done this? I've already searched 30 pages of Google and no luck. I have an electric clutch operated pump already. Thanks. Irv

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are you planning on operating with the wet kit? Any belt drive pumps I've seen aren't really suitable for things such as a dump trailer. The GPM of belt pumps will make a dump trailer painfully slow to dump.

LanceRobson

Some of the Allison transmission were made with a toothed torque converter but I don't know if the M915A1 one was. Take the spec number off the data plate (right side of the transmission case, under the cab?) and call an Allison dealer. You may get lucky and find that the torque converter is PTO ready.

I suspect all the Cats are PTO ready since everything but the M915 has one.

Lance

flyxpl

I have a plow truck with a Cat 3116 in it . It has a belt driven hyd pump . It works the dump bed , plow lift and angle and runs a hyd, salt spreader . I believe it is 8gpm . You have the option of Vbelt or serpintine belt . It cost around 5-$600 . With the right belt driven pump you should have no problem running what you need to .

Attachments

Last edited:

LanceRobson

JT, I still haven't decided whether to part it out, sell it or keep it. I've called Rodney a couple of times about tires and never gotten a return call.

Maybe later this week I'll get enthused enough to crawl under it and pull the side plate...

Lance

Irv

Gentleman;
Thanks for all the suggestions. What I have for a tranny is the CAT 7155 semi-auto and I agree that there should be pumps and pto's for those out there, but in the last several months, I haven't seen a one available.
I'm planning on operating a detachable gooseneck trailer that will need about 1600 PSI and will consume about 2 gallons from sitting on the ground to road-ready. I have a Parker clutch-pump but it has double V-belts and the only available pulley system on the front of the NTC-400 is serpentine. I'll try to locate a replacement pulley. I kinda recall seeing a thread somewhere about someone who added a clutch-pulley pump up front. I cannot find the thread. May have been dreaming :roll:.
Irv

flyxpl

The setup i have on my dump is not factory and is available aftermarket . It is made by Muncie . It is avaikable with serpintine or the v belts .

abh3

Tried a belt-driven hyd pump on an old cable type dozer years ago, it just didn't work consistently with the pressures/volumes I needed. You may be able to run a snow plow without a load on it with a belt-driven pump but I'd wager you'll be a lot happier with a PTO pump if you are planning on doing any real work...

flyxpl

In my application . We are not talking snow plow only . We are talking State of IL plow truck running a hyd salt spreader , plow and raising a bed full of salt while cruising down the highway. I koded the bed fukl of rock ,dirt and sand until it was spilling out the sides , it seemed to raise the bed no problems.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The belt pump will work fine running a detachable neck trailer. They don't take much GPM.

Almost all pumps (PTO, electric, belt, etc) are capable of the same PSI. That means that they are all capable of doing just about anything you want them to do. The GPM varies a lot though. It just depends on how fast you want they hyd equipment to operate.

Irv

I finally spotted the available V-belt pulley on the accessory port where the air pump is. Thought it was just a space between the two huge V-belts that run the fan and the serpentine that goes to the water pump. Searching for a bracket made for an AC pump, figuring that I'll never find one made for my hydraulic pump. I see some online that I can hack up to make work. I'd rather put a pto pump on the cat tranny, but there are zero of them out there to be had. Sounds like this will work, though. Only problem I can see is the pump has a double shiv and there is only one shiv available on the accessory drive. The belt might end up slipping.
Irv

rivercreek

I am trying to find a "wet line" setup for an M923 for plow/spreader application with no luck so far. My understanding is that the tranny mounted pto/pump used for the winch is not designed for sustained high rpm applications and will not last. What I need is a pump capable of app. 18gpm @ 2500psi at app 1000 engine rpm and also capable of handling sustained high (2100) engine rpms without detriment to the pump. Flyxpl, i'd be very interested to know what pump you are using on your truck. I'd be grateful for any other input/suggestions as well. Thanks

flyxpl

My pump was a Muncie belt drive . It was on a State of IL plow truck built for state of IL . It ran the plow , spreader and the dump while cruising down the highway with a Cat 3116 . Was a pretty simple setup with a simple bracket that held it on . Electric clutch to turn it off . Think mine was 8 GPM , but they did have larger pumps .

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am trying to find a "wet line" setup for an M923 for plow/spreader application with no luck so far. My understanding is that the tranny mounted pto/pump used for the winch is not designed for sustained high rpm applications and will not last. What I need is a pump capable of app. 18gpm @ 2500psi at app 1000 engine rpm and also capable of handling sustained high (2100) engine rpms without detriment to the pump. Flyxpl, i'd be very interested to know what pump you are using on your truck. I'd be grateful for any other input/suggestions as well. Thanks
I don't know, I've been using the factory winch pump to run a lime spreader bed on a M939 truck going on 2 years now. The pump seems to be holding up fine. It is a Vickers vane pump and also used in all kinds of commercial hyd applications. Where did you get the info that they won't hold up?

It will only put out about 14gpm @ 1,000rpm and 24gpm @ 2100rpm though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks