• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M915 trailering questions

drs

Newbie here with some trailering questions...

I have an M915 that I converted to a cargo truck by removing the saddle and installing a 5 ton cargo box (see pic). I would like to join the local MVPA convoy and trailer/haul my M813 with the M915. Looking for advice on the best way to do that.

Would it be better to buy a 30' pintle hitch trailer, or take off the cargo box, put a saddle back on and go with a 30' gooseneck? I know the pintle would be cheaper/easier/quicker, but I suspect the overhang of the cargo box means I might have to order a custom trailer with a long neck.

Is there much difference in the way the two trailer styles tow? I would appreciate anyone sharing their experience.

Also, my truck has one connector (12 pin) between the tail lights and two connectors (one 7 pin, one 12 pin) at the back of the cab. Which one do I use if I tow a non-military trailer? Do I have to convert something from 24V to 12V? I know there was a posting on this today but it didn't help me understand this...

BTW, reading through some earlier posts about best methods for the CAT7155 trans was REALLY helpful - thank you!

DD

Attachments

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a front pic of a newer, as in the 1990's, Air Force van trailer. You will notice it has a civilian and military outlet. With the M915 you could use either style plug.

Attachments

JH1

I have a stock M915 and have towed a 35 ton Landoll 5th wheel a few places so far. I can tell you that in general, you will find way more pintle trailers out there than 5th wheel ones. 5th wheel trailers usually start at 35 ton capacity and go up from there. If you are just hauling 5 ton trucks, you don't need that kind of capacity at all. A 5 ton only weighs 23,000 pounds.

A M915 tractor has almost no weight on the rear tires unless you load it with a trailer. Whatever trailer you choose, you have to look at the weight distribution to make sure that you are not only legal, but safe. If you have to stop quickly, you want the rear tires to be able to help. I had a trailer for a while that carried its load over the trailer tires and very little on the 5th wheel. Spun the rear tires and they wouldn't help stop the rig. Got home and sold the trailer. Some trailers are made specifically to haul something that is way nose heavy, so that you put the vehicle on the trailer and let the long snout of an excavator sit up forward, helping push down on the 5th wheel. If you get a pintle style trailer, make sure you can put lots of weight up on that pintle.

Nice looking truck, you have there! The tranny is a little odd, but I am happy with it, now. I'll be happy to answer questions on the truck. I've done some conversions on mine, like from 12/24v to only 12v for everything. Also added a wet kit ( home made).

Jim

Danl

Danl M915A1

you should be ok to pull a trailer with that body jest watch your corners when backing, to sharp of a turn might put your corner into your load. so load so things won't hit. But your hitch up,will fit under your body jest fine .

ReoRider

A friend is running a M915A1 set up like yours, but with a little shorter bed (from a duce?) and thus not so much rear overhang. He is pulling a tag-a-long on the pintle with great success and can add plently of front load weight to the trailer as JH1 suggests. He pulls a 32k MV on the trailer with good power and brakes. Are many advantages to the full 5th wheel configuration, but with your load weights you will be fine. The other plus is the cargo use for the truck, no small thing as there never seems to be enough room even for gear on a 5th wheel rig.

drs

Cody,

The tires on there are 49" tall Goodyear AT-2A's. You could probably do about 85 - 90 mph with this size tire, BUT the tires aren't rated for anywhere near that (60 mph max), and the truck gets really bouncy past 60 mph, especially when empty. For reference, at 60 mph it is only turning about 1450 rpm in 16th gear - barely purring.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rear 12pin plug and 12 pin plug behind driver side under cab, are 24v. The 7pin round under the cab is 12v. If you are going to use 12v lights on the trailer, just make an extention cord for the 7pin, or run a new wire back with plug and splice it in.