• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M915 vs M916

lakeydna

Does anybody know where the height difference comes from between the two trucks besides the tires and having a front diff. The M916 sits higher when looking at the front bumper, is it double framed? I would like to get a M916 but I think I might just put a transfer case and front diff in a M915. Any advice/tips?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The M916 has 24 inch tires and heavier springs which makes it sit higher......it is also designed for fording and is higher for that reason. The M915 is basically a day cab, line haul truck for mostly highway driving. When I was in a unit at Fort Benning that had M916's I could never figure out why we had crappy city tires on them instead of lugged tires that would pull in the mud. With a dozer on the lowboy that thing would get stuck in it's own shadow.

quickfarms

Standard street tractors have a drop front axle. The driven front axle is a straight axle and make the truck sit a lot higher. The light duty driven front axles have an offset differential. The heavy duty driven front axles have a centered differential. With a centered differential the truck must sit a lot higher for the front axle to clear the engine and transmission. The rear can be handled with suspension modifications, a sub frame or z brackets in the frame.

JH1

Another factor in choosing a collector vehicle like this is the turning radius. I have a M915 and curb to curb turning diameter is 53' vs about 80' for the all weel drive 916 and above. For getting around on city streets and backing around, I appreciate the extra 'dexterity', if such a word applies to these things.

lakeydna

The M915 seems more like a practical truck, better road speed, handling and such like a normal OTR tractor but the M916 just has that mean stance and would be a cooler truck to drive. Besides I don't think the word practical goes along with this obsession of MV. Could you change a M915 into a M916?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It would be easier to make a 916 into a 915.
What I would like to do is drop the front axle and transfer case from a m916 and install a non powered front axle and maybe a aux. transmission, this would make a NICE winch equiped recovery tractor

lakeydna

I've already got four, a pair of A1's and a pair of A2's. I want the rear winch and higher payload. I'm in the hunt right now for a M916 and am jumping through hoops trying to get an EUC.

Debest

Another factor in choosing a collector vehicle like this is the turning radius. I have a M915 and curb to curb turning diameter is 53' vs about 80' for the all weel drive 916 and above. For getting around on city streets and backing around, I appreciate the extra 'dexterity', if such a word applies to these things.
Thanks for the info

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks