• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M915 with push button Allison &air ride cab

av8or

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just arrived home with a 1979 M915 in tow which was rebuild in 2004. It was modified to include Air Ride Cab, Air Seat, AC, & a Push Button Allison Transmission. Has anyone seen one like this or have an info on this.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Does yours have the Freightliner cab? I tend to view anything "fly by wire" with suspicion. Since my relationship with Mr.Murphy is long and fraught with lessons learned I prefer to have some manual connection between shifter and transmission. Since I often shift my M927 manually I wonder if you can do that with the push botton.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, I've seen such trucks. I have never seen such an M915, but I've seen M915A1s so equipped. I bid on a few of them that came out of WI.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does yours have the Freightliner cab?
If he got the truck I think he did, it should be an AM General truck.

Some of us that have the air ride/Allison 4070 pushbutton 916s have referred to them as "Grumman 916s" because of Northrop Grumman's apparent involvement in their remanufacture and utilization at NTC/Ft Irwin. Its my guess that these trucks so equipped with the air ride cabs as well as the Allison 4070 are earlier modifications/remanufactures than the more common 2008 era refurbished 916s that have the Allison 4070, but no air ride cabs.

Since I often shift my M927 manually I wonder if you can do that with the push botton.
Sure you can, there are up and down arrows to manually shift it. On my 916, putting it in drive places it in 2nd gear - to shift to 1st, you have to push the down arrow until a "1" is displayed.

av8or

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was too late last night for pictures Ray (long day on the road). The truck is an AM General M915 mfg. in 1979 not an A1. The transmission is a Allison 4500sp, the rears are still rockwells, the AC is sanden, the seat is elcamino not bostrom, & the cab ride is made by Link in Iowa. There is no rebuilder listedm915 102513 001.jpgm915 102513 002.jpgm915 102513 003.jpgm915 102513 004.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you use any ballast on your tow M915A1 and how fast do you go when towing? Truck looks great. I'm going to pick up my new-to-me M915 on Monday, still has 7155. I'm trying to decide between flat tow or trailer haul.

av8or

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you use any ballast on your tow M915A1 and how fast do you go when towing? Truck looks great. I'm going to pick up my new-to-me M915 on Monday, still has 7155. I'm trying to decide between flat tow or trailer haul.

I did not use any ballast on the tow A1 and felt I did not need it. I have towed heaver when ballast was desirable. The A1 on 24's tops out 74/75. So I was able to run the speed limit or less depending conductions. I realize many will thing this is to fast but it felt right. The advantage to trailering would be no driveline disconnect.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks