• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M915A1 Driveline Locking System Issue/Power Divider

Runninwild

I'm looking at buying a M915A1 I have only pictures of it, the unfortunate thing is it's over 200 miles away from me. I was ready to go buy it and then the seller sends me a text and says, "The power divider is not working. The rear drive axle works fine, but the front drive axle works fine, but the front drive axle is not pulling."

I've searched the form and the only hit for the "Power Divider" was one from Simp5782, He was just talking about a vibration.

As I am looking at buying it I have to big questions,

1. If I removed the 4 tires on the front drive axel, could I drive it 200+ miles with just the rear axel?
2. Worst case scenario, what needs to be replaced (Hogs Head, whole axel)

Thank you

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I'm looking at buying a M915A1 I have only pictures of it, the unfortunate thing is it's over 200 miles away from me. I was ready to go buy it and then the seller sends me a text and says, "The power divider is not working. The rear drive axle works fine, but the front drive axle works fine, but the front drive axle is not pulling."

I've searched the form and the only hit for the "Power Divider" was one from Simp5782, He was just talking about a vibration.

As I am looking at buying it I have to big questions,

1. If I removed the 4 tires on the front drive axel, could I drive it 200+ miles with just the rear axel?
2. Worst case scenario, what needs to be replaced (Hogs Head, whole axel)

Thank you
Front tandem drive axle should not pull unless the dash valve is flipped. It should allow power to go thru it to the rear axle.

The power divider should only be locked in during wet or slick conditions, maximum power offroad, or when parking on a grade.

To drive it if you wanted to be safe if there is even an issue.

Remove the front tandem axle shafts from the hubs. Take some plywood and cut a circle out and drill the bolt holes to match where the axle shaft bolts onto the hub. Add gasket maker and use plywood as a blockoff so gear oil won't seep out.

If the power divider will not engage then it would be a bad dash valve, bad pressure protection valve.

Or

this goes for a 915/a1 only. The spring cans on the front tandem are stuck or rusted. The 915s only have spring cans on the front tandem, so the back axle could spin but the front tandem tires not release as power is going thru the front tandem as designed.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had a truck power divider was not working. Air line had a good crack in it by the axle so quick fix. By flipping the switch in cab you should have full air pressure at axle if you remove the air line from axle. No air more problems.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my 915 the interaxle differential applies power to both axles all the time until I lock it in, that eliminates the differential action between the axles and full traction goes to both axles.

Runninwild

this goes for a 915/a1 only. The spring cans on the front tandem are stuck or rusted. The 915s only have spring cans on the front tandem, so the back axle could spin but the front tandem tires not release as power is going thru the front tandem as designed.
Thank you Wes, I understand what it's for and how it's used, but this one has a locked up the axel. I think your spring can may be the issue, Unfortunately I don't have a M915A1 and 870 (really like you build on yours) I would need to be able to drive it back to my place to really work on it. The spring cans that you are referring to are part of the brakes where you would cage them, right?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thank you Wes, I understand what it's for and how it's used, but this one has a locked up the axel. I think your spring can may be the issue, Unfortunately I don't have a M915A1 and 870 (really like you build on yours) I would need to be able to drive it back to my place to really work on it. The spring cans that you are referring to are part of the brakes where you would cage them, right?
Yes where you would cage em

If it was an axle problem both axles and replacement walking beam can be had for about $600 to $1000. I've got a few sets pulled if you needed a chunk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks