• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m915a1 top speed

cornrichard

I have been working on my m915a1 fleet for about 2 week straight. I had one come home with a stuck brake and broken axle. That truck got the most attention first. Now that it is up and running I got to work on the better truck. I replaced a air line for the trailer hook up. I put black plastic quarter fenders on it to replace the rusted out stock ones. The other 2 trucks go about 62 mph flat out. This truck has G177 radials an 20 inch rims. They measure about 3 inches taller than the tires on the other trucks. I threw my gps in after I gave the truck a bath. I got it warmed up and took a quick lap around our country block. Top speed on the gps read 67 mph. I don't know what these trucks will do loaded. Harvest should start in 3-4 weeks and I will find out then.

deuceman51

You can shim the fuel pump on these, but the rule is not to exceed 2500 RPM. That info comes from the main section of a 915a1 unit that deployed. That is what the cummins dealer told them to do and it worked without damage.

cornrichard

These trucks a governed at 2100 rpm. 2500 should speed them up quite a bit. It should also burn a bunch more fuel. I am just running two lanes for farm use right now so I really only need 55. Somehow I bet I still find a good reason to shim the pump.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
When I was running West Coast many years ago I drove a Western Star with a 400 Cummins in it.

We had it turned up to 2350....our mech said anything more and we would burn them up on a hard pull.

It would run 106 MPH all day long.

When I was at Fort Benning we convoyed to the National Training Center at Fort Irwin, CA
We had the M915's with the CAT trans in it.

We had a "diesel doctor" in the bunch and the Sunday before we left we met at the Motor Pool and turned up several of the trucks to 2350.

When we got out to West Texas and New Mexico we were running 85 MPH flat out.....we really pissed off the civilian truckers off when we blew by them.

All went well until we passed the Convoy Commander in his CUCV running WFO.....he was not amused and we spent the rest of the trip at the tail end of the convoy running 55 MPH.

reb87

Youre going to like them for harvest. The only problem might be parking with a full load in the field. If the ground is a little soft and you sink in some you might have to back up before you can go forward. The first gear is not as low as reverse and sometimes the engine cant rev enough to get the truck moving forward but it will back up with the low reverse and let you get out of the groove and go forward. Im going to do some checking on a lower first gear, something I read said allison has the same transmission but with a lower first gear which would be great. The trucks work great hauling corn/beans to town....Here are a couple links to my earlier posts...

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/50428-m915a1-hauling-corn.html
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/36954-400-trumps-250-allison-kills-cat.html

Fort rogers

I think you are really going to like your 915! Im pulling a bellydump with mine and it will run so much easier than my kws, no clutch and really good traction, its seems to do really well! Id like to trade the kws for more of em. Good luck.!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks