• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M915A1 tractor to trailer cable

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes, you can use one or the other. depends on the trailer, as Mark has said.

There are problems with the 12v lighting on a m915, they take a lot of load for some reason. My light switch failed after a long night pulling a civi trailer- for a year previous I've used the 24v and never had an issue. If I were you I would run the 24v. Takes some load off the 12v side.

gpcpilot

You may want to check your local NAPA. Mine sells the cable for $11 for the 12v version that plugs in right behind the driver side of the cab.

LanceRobson

Ferro, I suspect the issue is that the GI trailers don't have running and clearance lights so a civy trailer is drawing a lot more amps than a GI trailer with just tail lights. I guess you could use the regular light switch to trip a relay and let the relay carry the load.

I'll have to ask my in-shop electronics wizard...

Lance

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ferro, I suspect the issue is that the GI trailers don't have running and clearance lights so a civy trailer is drawing a lot more amps than a GI trailer with just tail lights. I guess you could use the regular light switch to trip a relay and let the relay carry the load.

I'll have to ask my in-shop electronics wizard...

Lance

The M915's are considered cargo transport trucks and used as such as opposed to combat vehicles. Clearance and running lights should not pose any problems. My equipment/military semi trailers all have running and clearance lights. Some have both civilian and military plug outlets.
The MK17 I pulled yesterday also had a complete compliment of lights.

Plenty of lights on these trailers.
The flatbed behind the MK17 in the last pic had both outlets on it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Autocar

I have almost the identical setup. I pull an M871 with an M915A1. I use the standard civi 12V cable. Have not had any problems. Electrical loading will be the same with either 12V or 24V. The only advantage to the 24V is that the trailer is getting it's power from relays instead of going thru the light switch, which other posters have said seems to be a weak link.

I pull my two M871 trailers with my two M915A1 tractors using the 7 pin commercial cables. I have the military 24 volt cables in the trucks aswell. I also pull these trailers wits my two M931 tractors using the 24 volt military cables.I have ha ex pretty good luck so far. I have converted the M871's over to nearly all led lights which I think is the way to go, slot less current and much longer life.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks