• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M916 Auxilillary Hydraulics at Winch

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are going to need some different valving. I'm not familiar with how the M916 is set up but I assume the winch is now controlled with a single spool valve. You are more than likely going to have to swap that out with a 2 spool valve. Then you can run a "wet line" from the second spool to your trailer.

Another way you could do it is to just add quick connects to the lines going to the winch, unplug the winch, and run the lines to the trailer.

Construction

Thank you for the advice. I will take the cover off and look to see how the lines are set up. It has two auxiliary ports at the base of the controls in the back.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm fixing to do this pretty soon, too.

I'm far from an expert, but I think you merely need to add the hoses or quick disconnects to the aux ports on the winch control tower. The "up" position on the lever closest to the cab controls flow to the auxiliary "out" port. You could put some vice grips to hold it in the "up" position to turn on the wet kit.

I want to know if its better to put some female connectors right there and then have some hoses with connectors on each end stowed in the truck, or just have some hoses plugged directly into the ports.

Is there a common size for trailers?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well if you already have two auxiliary ports, it sounds like you're already set up. I know the military does use trailers that require hyd, I would assume that's what the ports are for. I suggest you read up on the TM and see what it says.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The TM only mentions this about the aux ports -

"Do not leave the lever in the auxiliary power
(raised position) without the auxiliary system
hooked up. This could result in the hydraulic
system overheating."

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The TM only mentions this about the aux ports -

"Do not leave the lever in the auxiliary power
(raised position) without the auxiliary system
hooked up. This could result in the hydraulic
system overheating."
That makes sense because without the hoses hooked up there is nowhere for the fluid to go except through the pressure relief valve. Bypassing oil through the relief valve makes it very hot if done for very long.

Sounds like you're already set up for a wet line. You may still have to add a valve to lower and raise the dump but other than that it sounds like it's "plug and play"

Construction

I have found a dump trailer and will start to work through the process to get it working. I will post pics and ask questions.

Thanks again everyone. This site is so helpful.

Construction

Yes, I am aware that the 5th wheel is bigger on the M916. I currently have it connected to the 25 ton M127A1 and have an adapter sleeve that goes around civilian king pins so I can pull them with it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks