• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M916 conversion to 2500 Gallon Tanker/Pumper for a volunteer fire department

Chief478

My small rural Georgia VFD just got a M16 (1993 yr) to convert to a tanker/pumper. We don't need the PTO, because the Pump is driven by a separate small diesel engine . We are removing the 5th wheel and winch components. So, I was thinking of just capping off all the lines at the PTO pump. Any thoughts on the winch removal?
Also, the truck hasn't been ran in about 5 years. We're changing all the fluids and flushing the fuel system, before trying to start it. Any thoughts on initial start up after its been setting that long?
Thanks, Butch

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My small rural Georgia VFD just got a M16 (1993 yr) to convert to a tanker/pumper. We don't need the PTO, because the Pump is driven by a separate small diesel engine . We are removing the 5th wheel and winch components. So, I was thinking of just capping off all the lines at the PTO pump. Any thoughts on the winch removal?
Also, the truck hasn't been ran in about 5 years. We're changing all the fluids and flushing the fuel system, before trying to start it. Any thoughts on initial start up after its been setting that long?
Thanks, Butch
I am guessing that you need that extra two feet of space for the new tank? Where the winch is now... And you don't have a possible need to pull something with a winch?

One thing you need to consider is that "capping off the winch hydraulics" could stop the motor dead. Especially if somebody engages the winch PTO and it "dead heads" . With the pump blocked off, you won't get it to crank again until that pressure is relieved. A better idea if you really don't want to remove everything would be to loop the hoses "in to out". The pump and pto won't last long running in that configuration either... And the pump will be screaming

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thanks, Butch
Takes 20mins to pull the winch off.

You will need a 3/4" socket and wrench for the pto pump. Remove the pump at the PTO and leave the pto on the truck.

The hydraulic system generally doesn't have a drain on them so pull it as a complete unit with the pump still hooked to the lines

GopherHill

You might want to rethink winch removal. You will eventually stick the tanker and it will be really hard to extract. Been there, didn't get a tee shirt. I've been a VFD member for 30 plus years.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You might want to rethink winch removal. You will eventually stick the tanker and it will be really hard to extract. Been there, didn't get a tee shirt. I've been a VFD member for 30 plus years.
How are you going to use the winch if it's in front of the tank?

It's better to use them to pull a 5000 gallon tanker

Attachments

Chief478

I am guessing that you need that extra two feet of space for the new tank? Where the winch is now... And you don't have a possible need to pull something with a winch?

One thing you need to consider is that "capping off the winch hydraulics" could stop the motor dead. Especially if somebody engages the winch PTO and it "dead heads" . With the pump blocked off, you won't get it to crank again until that pressure is relieved. A better idea if you really don't want to remove everything would be to loop the hoses "in to out". The pump and pto won't last long running in that configuration either... And the pump will be screaming

Thanks for the info. This is a new project for us.

Chief478

Takes 20mins to pull the winch off.

You will need a 3/4" socket and wrench for the pto pump. Remove the pump at the PTO and leave the pto on the truck.

The hydraulic system generally doesn't have a drain on them so pull it as a complete unit with the pump still hooked to the lines
Thanks for the info, I'll check out the You tube.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks