• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M916/M920 key ???

86m1028

Im in the market for either an M916/M920 & all the trucks I have seen are missing keys.

My question is are they all the same (like cucv's) or they all different.
Should I just buy a new ignition switch or can I get a copy from someone ?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thank you.

I searched & found nothing, not even this post.

Thanks again.
You're welcome.

I admit it, I was able to cheat a bit. I remembered Reb87 was the user who had submitted one of them, so I just did a search for "key" by author Reb87 and found it.

The first link, I think I searched "M915 AND key" or maybe "keys" plural. Can't quite remember, I thought the second thread would come up, so when it didn't I refined the search.

:beer:

86m1028

buying surplus unless I can find a privately owned one reasonable.

Im still doing my homework but im really leaning toward an M920.

On another note has anyone put a 45k winch on the frt of one also ?

reb87

The trucks front ends are a little heavy to start with:(from TM)
M920 front empty 14700 lbs
rear empty 15570 lbs (pusher axle up on both weights)

M916 front empty 13370 lbs
rear empty 14130 lbs
The m920 loaded with the pusher axle down as Ive been hauling corn with total load 88000lbs
Front 12000
pusher 8000
rear tandem 34000
trailer tandem 34000

Putting a winch on the front would put the weight over legal if youre using the truck for hauling anything. The m920 rides better than my m915a1 probably the longer wheelbase and the air pusher axle takes some of the roughness out of the ride. I wondered if it would work to put some rollers under the truck and run the winch cable out the front if you need to pull that direction. Might be kinda tough to string the cable if youre already stuck though...
Ive only had one chance to check mileage loaded and got 3.9 mpg running 30 miles to town loaded and back unloaded for a full tank. M915a1 gets 4.3 on the same trip but im running 8000 lbs less with it because of the pusher axle on the m920...Empty milage bobtailing m915a1 little over 8mph,m920 a little over 6mpg.

Attachments

Last edited:

86m1028

The trucks front ends are a little heavy to start with:(from TM)
M920 front empty 14700 lbs
rear empty 15570 lbs (pusher axle up on both weights)

M916 front empty 13370 lbs
rear empty 14130 lbs
The m920 loaded with the pusher axle down as Ive been hauling corn with total load 88000lbs
Front 12000
pusher 8000
rear tandem 34000
trailer tandem 34000

Putting a winch on the front would put the weight over legal if youre using the truck for hauling anything. The m920 rides better than my m915a1 probably the longer wheelbase and the air pusher axle takes some of the roughness out of the ride. I wondered if it would work to put some rollers under the truck and run the winch cable out the front if you need to pull that direction. Might be kinda tough to string the cable if youre already stuck though...
Ive only had one chance to check mileage loaded and got 3.9 mpg running 30 miles to town loaded and back unloaded for a full tank. M915a1 gets 4.3 on the same trip but im running 8000 lbs less with it because of the pusher axle on the m920...Empty milage bobtailing m915a1 little over 8mph,m920 a little over 6mpg.
Thanks for the reply,,, I have been reading some of your posts.

Truck will see very little road (mostly private ranch roads).
Give me your opinion The truck will mainly be used for unsticking & dragging loaded road trucks to remote locations.

Dozer pull outs are $$$$

What about a smaller (say 20k) winch for the frt ?

How well are your trucks doing in the fields ?

reb87

You want a good tow rope like one of these
Page Title
I havent used my m920 for pulling anything out yet but my m919 with the 16.00x20 michelins is awesome. We got our R72 Gleaner combine stuck last year in a mud hole and the axle broke on it. I was able to drive into the mud and load the 300 bushels of corn into my truck and then drive back out and thru the mud hole again and pull the combine out onto dry ground. I was around 50000 lbs and sunk into the mud 12 inches or more. No problems. I would get a m920 if I was you, the truck weighs 4000 lbs more and has longer wheelbase and mine has lockers in both rear axles. I still think you could rig it up to pull under and forward with the back winch but with a good tow rope you could get most things unstuck.

Attachments

SOUTHFORK

im in the market for either an m916/m920 & all the trucks i have seen are missing keys.

My question is are they all the same (like cucv's) or they all different.
Should i just buy a new ignition switch or can i get a copy from someone ?

i just purchased some of the ignition switches for
my 916's and 920's should receive them next week, all keys are different

Bearpaws

I too needed a key for my truck when I went to get it. I used the key code c250 at a local locksmith. Two keys $7.50. Also took a new switch: STANDARD #US100. The c250 worked perfect. Also worked in the door. After I made it home I ended up changing out the switch due to voltage drops thru the switch. They are keyed different. But thank goodness for the key code posted here on SS. The GL guy didn't look to be very helpful. Could'nt believe I wanted to try to start my truck. Let alone drive it home. My truck was a 920.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't get any of the local locksmiths to make any sense of just "C250." They want to know what kind of blank and what lock manufacturer and the cheapest one was $25 for one key to cut it if I had all the necessary information. The closest I came to getting a key was that they could disassemble the lock and make a key at a cost of nearly $100.00. They all want to know what kind of vehicle it is and charge a special fee because it is unusual. One guy all but accused me of wanting the key so that I could steal a vehicle.

What am I doing wrong? What other information do I need? All the posts here make it sound like saying just "C250" is enough, but clearly for the local winners, it is not.

Andy1234

I can't get any of the local locksmiths to make any sense of just "C250." They want to know what kind of blank and what lock manufacturer and the cheapest one was $25 for one key to cut it if I had all the necessary information. The closest I came to getting a key was that they could disassemble the lock and make a key at a cost of nearly $100.00. They all want to know what kind of vehicle it is and charge a special fee because it is unusual. One guy all but accused me of wanting the key so that I could steal a vehicle.

What am I doing wrong? What other information do I need? All the posts here make it sound like saying just "C250" is enough, but clearly for the local winners, it is not.
Send me a pm w/ your address. I'll have a copy made and mail it to you. Mail me a couple of bucks when you get it to cover my costs.

Andy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks