• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M916 recovery

goodguyzy

Ya not the best MPG Josh, Made it to the motor pool near Medford,OR.

I was betting from the description of the auction of "has power, wont start" that this truck was a runner. Tony was real helpful, found a key and yes the truck had some power but not nearly enough to start or even get anything out of the head lights. Tony pulled over a 923 to slave it but it was a no go. We (my friend Tyler with the CDL) decided to pull the batteries and put in four good ones. After replacement we had lights, hit the start button and fired right up! YES, This is after we checked all fluids and inspections of course. Ran truck for about 5 minutes but still no air pressure, crap. Started checking for air leaks and found that the front emergency glad hand shut off valve was failed open. bent the cover to fit air tight and wrapped with tape. Fuel tank was about 2/3 full, thanks uncle sam. Truck did well and ran at 60 MPH down past Portland, OR. Noticed that the head lights were not on and about an hour from dark we pulled over at a truck parts house to figure out what is going on. Found the dimmer (hi-low switch) had come apart, jumpered wires to run light on low beam. Filled up with fuel in Corvallis and arrived home at 20:00 hours, Left JBLM at 13:00 so we made good time even with repairs. The major problem I had was with the power steering pump, on arrival the level was low, when we added fluid and turned the wheel back and forth the fluid became foamy and bubbled out. I thought it was because it was low and mixed with air but after another safety check an hour later it was low, filled again but still seams to be foaming up. I havent done any searches yet but If I cant find any info ill put up a thread on it.

fasttruck

I do not have a LO for the M916, but the 809 series with the NH Cummins call for 10 weight motor opil for the power steering. Did you use the correct fluid for this truck ?

goodguyzy

The tm calls for dexron ATF, I used power steering fluid. They are basically the same thing but im going to drain everything and use ATF and see how it goes. My thought is it was empty at pickup, so I think it has some problems.

quickfarms

Make sure you cycle the steering from lock to lock about a half dozen times, hold the wheel at each lock for a few seconds, to get the air out. Also check for leaks to find out where the fluid went to in the first place. Is your pump belt or gear driven?

goodguyzy

Drove the beast for the first time myself. My friend who has a CDLA told me I should stay out of town for now. In other words I need more practice, but read the TM a few more times and the threads on the 7155 transmission and the "slap stick" method.

Attachments

goodguyzy

Kinda a long drive but Im game. You guys should make a parts and vehicle pick up mini rally down here. There is a good size rally here the first part of June. Its all WWII stuff, it would be really cool to have a SS bunch show up. Last year I had my A3 there and was really out of place. This year I am going to really out of place with the M916.:grin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks