• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M916 with a cargo bed and 16.00R20 tires?

Truckoholic

So........I am very close now to finally buying me an M925. Been after one for a year now, and I've bought fixed up and sold a couple M35a2's and an M813a1 to build up the funds to buy an M925 through GL. Not interested in spending no $14,000 for one! ha ha I like to buy cheap and fix them up. That's when I get the most enjoyment out of these old trucks. In fixing them up.

Anyway, here I am wanting an M925a1 with big tires on it because I want a great big awesome army truck. However, I also really like the M920 and M916. But I really want a truck with the cargo bed. So I am thinking, that I might really like an M916 with an M35 cargo bed on it. Maybe even a 14 foot M923 cargo bed, and cut a hole for the winch, so the winch is actually sitting in the bed and not in front of it. I don't really like the look of the space between the cab and the bed when it is mounted so far back.

I have seen Eldgen's M920 boom lift cargo bed truck, and think it is pretty freakin awesome.

The other absolute must, is that it HAS to have 16.00R20's on it! I think an M916 with 16.00R20's and a 14 foot cargo bed, with the winch mounted in the back AND a winch added on to the front like the M925, would be the absolute most awesome BIG BEAST of an army truck to drive around! As usual not the least bit worried about fuel mileage! I just want an awesome freaking big 6X6 cargo truck with winches on both ends.

I'm assuming the big winch on the back of the M916 is hydraulically powered. Would a person be able to draw off the same hydraulic system to power another hydraulic winch at the front? I've got a big hydraulic winch sitting here at my place. Probably bigger than I want to put on the front though.

But yeah, just curious if any of you have put a cargo bed on an M916 yet. I'm sure somebody has. I need pictures!

Or I can just buy an M925a1 in the next couple weeks and be happy with that:) But I do like to have stuff that is different:)

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Bigger is better.

A M920 with a 20 foot bed off of a M927 would be better, with the three axle set up you would never overload it. Or lose the tag axle and some weight and have a long wheelbase.

HEMMT rims and tires would look outstanding on it.

PapaPumpSD

So an M916 (or variant) with super singles would be capable off-road? "Off-road" as in serious off-road, not a gravel road with some bumps. In other words, would it be able to keep up with a 5-ton cargo truck w/singles off-road?

Thanks for starting this thread!

Danl

Danl M915A1

ther is some Oshkosh Tractors on GL comeing up 3 or four of them Those are big and Freaken cool, Bigger is bad As%

sandcobra164

Talk to Floridianson, he has a M920 built just how your talking. It's on 16's, dropped tag axle, rear winch can be payed out the M35 bed. No front winch but it's a heck of a truck.

cadillac

my m916

So an M916 (or variant) with super singles would be capable off-road? "Off-road" as in serious off-road, not a gravel road with some bumps. In other words, would it be able to keep up with a 5-ton cargo truck w/singles off-road?

Thanks for starting this thread!
I have a m916 that i put 53 inch supers on ,but not had a chance to wheel yet. I would think with there locking axles they would do great but again bought mine this last October and with no snow really here in wisconsin this winter no clue . Here is a link to youtube if you want to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGYxgtzIlXU

Artisan

I have a m916 that i put 53 inch supers on ,but not had a chance to wheel yet. I would think with there locking axles they would do great but again bought mine this last October and with no snow really here in wisconsin this winter no clue . Here is a link to youtube if you want to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGYxgtzIlXU

Come on ERNEST...give us a good link bro! Hurry too! HA!

I would imagine a 916 or 920 with 16.00's would do as good or better than a 5 ton. Mainly because they have Detroit lockers in the rear axles. Yes they are taller, but they are no wider. Heavier yes because of the double frame, but they have a lot more power to make up for it. I don't think a m916 would be too much heavier than a m925.

Offroad ability greatly depends on where the owner/driver is willing to take it.

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used to wheel the pee out of a 916 at the national training center back in the day. Usually with a D-7 on a trailer behind it. Very capable in the rough stuff, within reason, and when it did get stuck out came the D7 and boom back at it once more. I imagine with the huge 53 inchers and no trailer behind it, it would be a beast off road. The main problem we had was destroying the body mounts on them. They couldn't handle the pounding off road. These were the old CCC trucks in the early 1980s. All 6 of our trucks had trashed body mounts after just 8 weeks in the desert.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Why not dual 16.00s front and rear with chains !:doghead: Next step is to find a lane big enough to hold it and something you couldn't crawl over or go thru.

How about a crew cab 916/920? Didn't the navy have one? I think I saw one on here or someplace at one time or another.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks