• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M916A1 --> $33,450.77 at Auction... Good Deal or NOT ? ? ?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Since it has the 60 series Detroit in it that makes it very attractive. A low milage engine like that will sell for over 10K.
Consider what a new truck than is equipped like the M916 would cost and you can see how the buyer might consider that a bargain.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A fresh rebuild of an M916 (not A1) two years ago was $17k. I'd be more worried about why it was at a police dept.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If figured that the high bidder was a commerical operator rather than a hobbyist.

As for Police Department ownership..... MANY municipalities use DRMO'd vehicles to augment their otherwise public fleets. MANY "Mobile Command Posts" and "Disaster Response" trailers would/could be toted by these tractors. My guess is that they realized they "bit off more then they could chew" and sold this off in favor of a more "friendly" civilian tractor. IMHO

Last edited:

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They probably screened it, thinking they would have some use for it, or they would flip it... :eek:

They just made themselves a butt-load of money... They probably had no use for the other truck they were selling either.

plowboy

If you are looking for a truck like that, it was dirt cheap considering miles and setup. Winch tractors are never cheap, and then if you are looking for a 6wd the pool practically dries up. I've seen 30 year old winch tractors sell for ten grand in average condition with mechanical problems disclosed.

I am surprised there are not more local government entities taking advantage of being able to pick up high end trucks and get them free and clear to sell in a relatively short period of time.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Message to the second, third or fourth place bidders, if they are on this list...PM me because I have the same truck that I'd sell you for much cheaper! :)

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Message to the second, third or fourth place bidders, if they are on this list...PM me because I have the same truck that I'd sell you for much cheaper! :)
But, does yours come with an operable wench??? Personally, I find a winch much more usable than a wench, but they are good for some things...especially when they operate properly. ;)

gunboy1656

I know of PD's who have tracked armor, this would make it nice to have if the vehicle needed loaded when it died out in the field. As to this selling for so much I would never pay that much for one.

466Navastar

the police depts that are buying these military vehicles under the program that practically GIVES it to them free.....shouldnt be able to be getting these to flip for profit - I dont believe that was the intent of the program by the Federal Govt.......these vehicles are SUPPOSED to augment police to better do their jobs

this abuse should be reported to the proper authorities----keeping Steel Soldiers out of the conversation

plowboy

I am not completely familiar with the rules, and they vary depending on the program an asset is obtained through, but most of the more recent programs allow the receiving agency to own the asset free and clear after a specified period of time under specified conditions. At that time they may sell,trade,or scrap the asset at their discretion. Assuming that they are following the rules, which I assume they are especially since they are using GL to sell it, I do not believe it is accurate or fair to characterize them in a derisive manner.

466Navastar

In 2011 alone, more than 700,000 items were transferred to police departments for a total value of $500 million. This year, as of May 15, police departments already acquired almost $400 million worth of stuff. Last year’s record would have certainly been shattered if the Arizona Republic hadn’t revealed in early May that a local police department used the program to stockpile equipmentand then sold the gear to others, something that is strictly forbidden.

DrillerSurplus

NEIOWA

A fresh rebuild of an M916 (not A1) two years ago was $17k. I'd be more worried about why it was at a police dept.
Not unknow that PD (Cook Co) acquire DOD surplus vehicles (at no cost). Park them for the required amount of time then sell. $ going into the donut/college aid fund?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks