• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M916A1 Hauler

maxtor

The M916A1 comes with a 400 hp Detroit engine and Allison automatic transmission. They come with a pto winch.
What are your opinions of this series of vehicle.

Carlo

I don't own one but I do know the specs. It's pretty HD. It's not a M1070 but it's pretty strong and the Detroit 8V92 is a torque motor.
What are you going to haul?

Carlo

The added feature of have a winch would let you use a removable goose neck trailer or even folding goose neck. Plus having the winch would be nice if you have to winch something up the trailer. I think it would be a good choice depending on pricing.

Carlo

One negative thought the 916 is a short wheel base and I've always seen CA trucks long wheel base. I thought it was because of some bridge law you have there. You may already know this.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I drove the older version in the Army and they are fine for short haul. They ride like an oxcart and have a lack of creature comforts. Mine had the 16 speed Cat with the 400 Cummins.

The newer ones with the Freightliner cabs may ride better and have AC.

You should check CA emission laws before you buy one.

R Racing

I have a m920 ( older and bigger version of the m916a1) it a awesome truck! ! I have done a 1600 mile haul with it . The older 1s have the Cummins 400. Love the engine and extremely reliable! ! I added AC to mine since the older 1s don't have that . You can always add better seats and such if needed. The A1s look to be a nicer cab. But I'm not sure about the Detroit engines though. I like the 16 speed as they get up and on the move fast !

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Ca. bridge formula will get the short wheel base, a m920 with the long wheel base and drop axle will work better for you.

maxtor

It would not be legal in California because of epa rules. It should be legal in Arizona where our ranch is. I need to check Arizona dmv rules.

The 1991 trucks must have the Detroit diesel engine per the below advertisement.

1991 Freightliner Tractor Truck; Model# M916A1 powered by a Detroit diesel engine series 60, Allison HT-740 Automatic Transmission comes with a PTO winch.

fasttruck

Series 60 Detroits are 4 cycle six cylinder push rod engines. M911s and M 1070s have a 92 series V-8 which is a two cycle engine. I understand DD
has ceased making them for polution isues.

maxtor

The spec's show 400 hp at 2100 rpm. I have zero knowledge about Detroit series 60 engines. Are they good or should we stay away from them? Seems like a lot of hp from a stock six cylinder.
Our 2012 Ford F250 psd has 400 hp and 800 lbs. of torque, and it is a V8.

Baradium

The spec's show 400 hp at 2100 rpm. I have zero knowledge about Detroit series 60 engines. Are they good or should we stay away from them? Seems like a lot of hp from a stock six cylinder.
Our 2012 Ford F250 psd has 400 hp and 800 lbs. of torque, and it is a V8.
You're talking about a completely different type of motor, altogether.

It's not just about whether you havea 6cyl or V8.... that 6 cyl displaces around 14L or 855 CI

http://www.atlanticdda.com/DDspecs/Series 60_specs.pdf

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For intended purpose of OP, that is what the truck was designed for - light equipment (which is military speak for 'everything except M88/M1A1 tanks!)

Points to consider:

You will need a military trailer ie., M870, otherwise you'll have to add ~14" to the RGN and change the Kingpin from 2" to 3.5". The 6x6 front axle is accommodated by a frame lift for the whole truck.

A1s do not have AC but the Red dot kits are out there for around $500

A2s are the same truck with AC (and a couple of cosmetics).

A3s are the same cab but have different axles and transmission, CTIS and a bunch of collision avoidance sensors etc.

The engines are much sort after by the OTR boys who want to use a glider kit and keep below the emissions regs (legally), the truck is basically an FLD 120 with driven front axle.

... however this means that CARB will have your nuts for breakfast. Therefore a decision breaker if CA is your thing.

Driving the A1 is a blast - very easy to get used to and very quick off the mark. Its geared for a top end of around 55 but that is over 2K rpm. ... and you look down on civi 18 wheelers!

The winch is very user friendly except no freewheel so it is a two man operation.