• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M916A1 Keys To The Highway

ReoRider

So the key I got with this wonderful Freightliner M916A1 does not encourage you to want to ever turn it off. Lots of jiggling and #%$@* to get it to turn the switch and clearly is only close to what is needed. Before taking the cylinder out for cutting one to match I remembered that all the early WWII trucks, that had keys, used the same H700 number. Also recall some post here about M915 trucks sharing a common key.

If anyone knows the answer or has a copy of one available from a similar Freightliner would appreciate the help.
IMG_1540.jpgIMG_1541.jpgIMG_1543.jpgIMG_1552.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ReoRider

Thanks for the suggestion, also maybe Freightliner has keys based on VIN- I'll give them a try first.

Recently got this M172A1 with the reversable king pin to carry the loads behind the 916A1-- the M52 gas job moving it has hauled 63k gross with a flat bed for years and finally gets a break!IMG_1505.jpgIMG_1511.jpgIMG_1509.jpg

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
What do you haul with your rig

IN post #1, pic #3, is that a m29 in the back ground, what other GOODIES are at your AO

ReoRider

Yup, it's an M29 weasel- from back in the day of the imports from Norway- a true IMG_0378.jpgIMG_0206.jpgIMG_0207.jpgall season MV.

The M52 has pulled this kind of load in the hill country here with hubs, more compression on the Continental 6602, 5th OD and lots of split shifting of the xfer case.

EO2NMCB

Id call freightliner dealer near you with the last 6 of the vin, parts should be able to pull the key code up for you. Just a fyi freightliner only used about 8 different keys on the fld/flc 112, 120, 132. They may want prof of onwership for the code or to cut the key.

Last edited:

ReoRider

Ahh, that's what I hoped to hear- thanks much! I'll try a dealer and see if they included the military contracts in their listing- now about the door locks.......

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Recently got this M172A1 with the reversable king pin to carry the loads behind the 916A1-- the M52 gas job moving it has hauled 63k gross with a flat bed for years and finally gets a break!
When I was at Fort Benning we had two M916's (old style) and two of those lowboys. We used them to haul D7 dozers and 10K rough terrain forklifts. I assume you are aware that they are overwidth. We had the old style steel ramps that we had to schlep by hand for loading/unloading. Sucked to have to move them around if you were skinny and light.

ReoRider

Boy do I know those ramps- keeps you busy always getting three other guys to help with the lift. Will be on the lower M172A1 now, needed it to get the 3 1/2" kingpin for the M916A1. The overwidth is the penalty but the lower ramp angle
and the extra deck wiggle room more that offsets. Looking forward to trying out the new rigs for summer show season.
The trailer pictured is a XM974 have been using for years with the M52.IMG_0385.jpgIMG_0395.jpg

ReoRider

Followup on the Freightliner key question. A look through the -24p manual gave part numbers for the ignition and door locks that both ended in H680. Freightliner dealer ran the VIN and also came up with their code number of H680 for the key. Short story- key cut- turns both locks smooth as silk.

So, answer for M915A2, M916A1/A2 is that H680 key will likely fit them all.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks