• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M916A1 Little Stuff

ReoRider

The Freightliner series provides lots of opportunities for neat little upgrades. Thought I would show some from over the past year and hopefully encourage others to post what they have developed.

Sliding rear cab window--standard on the M916, but not on the A1. Needed to keep the air moving through the cab. Good suppliers in the construction equipment market will make them for reasonable costs, to your spec, without the nonmilitary RV fittings and finish.
IMG_2103.jpg

Work Lights - Originals are not so tough plastic models. Substituted military wrecker lights for better performance and looks.
IMG_2106.jpg

Pioneer tools- no provision on the A1. Adopted the location for the rack from the 10 ton M123 tractor where it is on top of the tool box.
IMG_2107.jpg Water can - also good idea, fits into the decon mounting bracket.

Tail Lights- latest models, 916A3, use the composite LED lighting. Easy substitution, with the backup light to follow soon.
IMG_2108.jpg

Power outlets in the cab - nothing supplied but 12 and 24 needed for accessories. Added on the solar charger kit with roof mount for the large panel, and behind the drivers seat for the distribution box and the battery condition indicator. Puts the units close to the battery box for short leads, and supplies all the fused power sources you could want inside.
IMG_2101.jpg

Antenna Base - many possibilities, one spot is on the hydraulic tower, allowing good motion for the whip, and a secure mount.
IMG_2143.jpgIMG_2145.jpg

Storage boxes - lots available on the A1. The SS classifieds provide keyed alike locks, manual calls for 7 of them.
IMG_2146.jpg

Add-on Hydraulic controls - the transfer shift tower provides great spot to anchor any remote cable levers. Short run to under cab floor, making it easy to keep oil out of the cab.
IMG_2100.jpg

Lots more ideas out there...let's see them!

John

Artisan

Indeed the M915 Series of trucks is a great truck to accessorize.
there so much bigger than the 5 tons too! I know, I have both!
If you start a ReoRider's M916A1 thread please let me know.

I have an Artisan's M916 thread going, stop by. I am currently
finishing up a RD A/C kit install, front PS fender blind spot mirror +.

Good job on your work.

I sure do wish there was a separate forum for the M915 series of trucks.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like the sliding rear window - that is a must.

Haven't done too much to it yet other than a few tidy up's..

Did weld the nuts to the back side of the brush guard to allow for one man install after I repaired the lower tube - it had blown round from water ingress freezing.

Added a rain shield to the rear window, haven't yet tested it but the trip back from NJ show proved the need for one.

Added some 'Scotch' ground anchors next to the spare wheel so that the winch has a little more use than just loading a trailer.

Up and coming additions: O/H console for CB etc. Wet line kit with bulkhead fittings for A3 type trailer (removable gooseneck lowboy).

Attachments

Artisan

snip

Sliding rear cab window--standard on the M916, but not on the A1. Needed to keep the air moving through the cab. Good suppliers in the construction equipment market will make them for reasonable costs, to your spec, without the nonmilitary RV fittings and finish.
View attachment 504886

snip

Power outlets in the cab - nothing supplied but 12 and 24 needed for accessories. Added on the solar charger kit with roof mount for the large panel, and behind the drivers seat for the distribution box and the battery condition indicator. Puts the units close to the battery box for short leads, and supplies all the fused power sources you could want inside.
View attachment 504891

John
John my rear slider was AWOL when I bought my truck, I got lucky and found
one OE but do you have contact info and a part number perhaps
assigned to it, for the window you had made so others in the future can do this
and or get a replacement? (If anyone knows where there are M915 series type trucks
sitting getting parted out please PM ME.)

Additionally do you have more info on the mfg and what you did w/ the add on power
box and solar and what you did there?

Also, you have a M916A1 correct? Do you have the Transformer Rectifier attached to
the rear of the Alternator housing or divorced and mounted right next to the ALT, or,
a Voltage Regulator on the firewall inside the engine compartment?

(I am looking for pics and part numbers if anyone has the ALT w/ divorced TR mounted
right next to the ALT, see the mystery pic Castle Bravo posted in the "Artisan' M916 thread)

(I still wish there was a separate forum for the M915 series trucks but it will never happen
unless everyone asks for it)

ReoRider

Steve, I plan to have the M916A1 at the Weare, NH show this weekend. It's about 175 miles from base, and will be a good test of the A/C.

John

ReoRider

Artisan - The sliding rear window to replace the fixed one in the A1 came from Peninsula Glass Co., Vancouver, WA, 360-892-2029. It is their Series 900, with a good rubber gasket, excellent measuring directions, and sturdy shipping packaging. You can even get it tinted to match the original.

The solar charger and power distribution box is a Pulse Tech from SS classified. It is the one with the big roof panel, and the box pictured is wired directly into the 12 and 24 volt terminals in the battery box. Also comes with a "battery condition" tester(idiot light voltmeter) that can make you feel good. The distribution box then gives you separate 12/24 power leads for accessories, all fuse/breaker protected, that are separate circuits from the vehicle system. Very handy for adding as much junk as you want, and keeps you from overloading the dash circuits. Are a couple of current SS threads with components available.
Will poke around the alternator(90amp) later in week and report on model etc.

I agree, would be great to have the M915 series broken out of the 5 ton and up listings (not even the tail lights cross-over). This would perhaps be a good time to do it as the number of 915 posts is hopefully of a manageable size so that they could be moved over. If it would help maybe the current threads could be combined (I know my few on the 916A1 could be) as a first step.

Howard-check the parts books for the 916A3- they show the O/H console as standard. Haven't checked with Freightliner yet but lots of parts are available and depending how it is attached it might be an add on. It's on my list as well!
There was a piece in PS magazine on the freeze damage to the front grill - it directs that you drill a water drain hole in the bottom- very classy!

John

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a piece in PS magazine on the freeze damage to the front grill - it directs that you drill a water drain hole in the bottom- very classy!
John
Yeah John - I don't know how that much water got in, other than the bridge plate bracket. I didn't want to add holes but I did anyway since the finished repair isn't perfect, due to the re-squaring of the bottom tubes' freeze 'rounding'. I was going to cut in a new piece of square tube but since the mesh is welded along it, I decided that would be more work. I missed out on a pack of 7 new grilles on GL a month or so ago....

I tried searching for the ground spade thread to link the pics of the ground "Scotches" stowage but couldn't find it!!!! >: (
... so here are some of them:

Attachments

ReoRider

The rear full fender is apparently already out there. Check out TM9-2320-303-24p for the M915A4. It shows the rear fender as a kit to be added on.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rear full fender is apparently already out there. Check out TM9-2320-303-24p for the M915A4.
Thanks John. After searching the 700+ pages I found it (naturally starting from the back). Can't quite make it out but it looks like it's non metallic - f/g or plastic so there would be a load of "No Step" stencils needed.
I think I'll go with steel or Al chequerplate, folded to a hexagon (top half) type profile then I can dance all over it.

Here is the TM extract for those interested.

Attachments

Last edited:

skidunits4you

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe I still have the front tube grill I removed from my 916A1 I will check tomorrow, if its here its up for grabs I removed it when adding the plow frame

ReoRider

Snowed in winter weekends provided more time for "Little Stuff" upgrades to the M916A1. Have taken a lot of ideas from the later A3 model and added them on to the A1.

The tire change last year to 14:00 X 20's left a little Michelin sticking outside the front fenders. The rubber fender flair extenders, riveted on, did a good job of covering the wider tread.

IMG_2612.jpgIMG_2531.jpgIMG_2610.jpg

The original winch-up spare tire carrier was too tight to the frame and too close to the battery box to allow a 14:00 to be carried. Moved the winch out a little, to the rear a couple inches, and installed a spacer bar (3") behind the wheel to then use the same type of bolt on anchor.

IMG_2580.jpgIMG_2579.jpgIMG_2603.jpgIMG_2578.jpg

You have to give up the tire chain box, but still need the step reinstalled, to have good access to the rear deck area.

Finally got after the speedometer correction for the bigger tires and the new ratio adapter nailed it- lots more fun when you can actually read the correct speed at the lower RPM.
IMG_2444.jpg

Changed over earlier to LED tail light and now have a backup light going to the rear.
IMG_2584.jpgIMG_2535.jpg

to be continued....

ReoRider

Needed a way to carry a sizable tow bar for recovery of the heavy rigs when they can't be fixed on the spot. It can be a long pull back to the trailer from a parade route or off road in the field.

IMG_2582.jpgIMG_2539.jpgIMG_2538.jpg

Needed a stowage bracket for the trailer electrical cable- attached early style model to the pogo stick.
IMG_2589.jpg

The A3 model has fancy electric controlled and heated mirrors. Always wanted one for the right hand side and ended up with them on both. Have been great fun this winter with wicked cold and snow.

IMG_2534.jpgIMG_2533.jpgIMG_2542.jpg

The momentary toggle switches fit into the dash aux heater control spots- while the panel was out cut a fresh hole for the regular radio. With all the extra cab insulation from the A/C install it is actually possible to hear the darn thing.

With both a CB and AM/FM, needed a second antenna mount. Went back to the hydraulic tower again as it is best out of the way location.

IMG_2586.jpgIMG_2598.jpgAdded an inside rear view mirror to keep an eye on the winch operator, trailer and load.

to be continued....

ReoRider

A somewhat tough install was the overhead console, needed for speakers, CB and other handy stuff. The FLD model lineage of the M916A1 Freightliner helps in locating parts like this, then the fitting is up to you. Well worth the effort as it keeps everything squared away so you can concentrate on moving the load.

IMG_2548.jpgIMG_2549.jpgIMG_2599.jpg

Naturally added the secret fix for the long haul- coffee cup holders

IMG_2543.jpgIMG_2594.jpg

The A3 moved the rifle racks to the rear wall, so the standard mounts worked fine.
IMG_2597.jpg

No doubt more to come, the truck is amazing, all this neat stuff, along with 6X6, low range and 400 horses.

Still looking for a winch tower data plate, the original has about evaporated. Anyone that can help with a fresher one from a M916, A!, A2, or A3 would be much appreciated.
IMG_2426.jpg

John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks