• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M916A1 Little Stuff

ReoRider

DS- I took out the paperboard liner and the open cell foam behind. There is better insulating material available these days- check on www.quietride.com for a good description of some of the kinds of materials in use. Most are available locally or on-line with the self adhesive backs. I filled in all the spaces and then reattached the original liner. The change was really noticeable- you could actually talk!

John

ReoRider

Steve--Yea, the wood grained dash is a piece of work- just off the regular FDL assembly line. Kind of like many of the pre-WW2 trucks where the military additions were often not much more than front wheel drive, blackout lighting and some standardization of accessories. They all kept their distinctive company character, so the Dodge and GMC were not too hard to spot even without looking at the prominent name plates.

The Freightliner is kind of in that world but with the benefit of years of road miles behind it to actually give a comfortable bob-tailed ride. It seems to have served well so far with its upgrades, and what must be a major challenge of running with an Add On Armor kit.

John

ReoRider

Still looking for a replacement operators data plate for the rear hydraulic winch. The one for the M916A0 will work fine, or any that came with the M916A1,A2 or A3.

They seem to be made from a form of evaporating etching- any help with a fresher one or a source greatly appreciated.

IMG_2428.jpg

Thanks,
John

DrillerSurplus

Still looking for a replacement operators data plate for the rear hydraulic winch. The one for the M916A0 will work fine, or any that came with the M916A1,A2 or A3.

They seem to be made from a form of evaporating etching- any help with a fresher one or a source greatly appreciated.

View attachment 542322

Thanks,
John
I pulled a winch off to make a water truck, I'll take a look to see what shape the data plate is in.

ReoRider

The AM/FM radio in the 916A1 is a Jensen model JHD3630BTB. These are part of a "heavy duty" line that is claimed to have more shock resistance and dust proofing. The ORT reports give it a good rating, it's compact and has all the bells and whistles. It is coupled to two speakers in the overhead console and two on the back wall of the cab. Still strange getting use to all this luxury in he cab!

ReoRider

It was a good jump with the 14:00's since I had stared with 11:00's as it came from GL. The GPS speed went from cruise at 50 to cruise at 57 mph, at the same RPM. This now leaves good headroom for faster speeds for traffic situations, though the 55 stamped on the tires and the loaded trailer behind make for a comfortable double nickel in my thinking.

For more, search the 5 ton and over mods forum, for M916A1 and you can look at M916A1 Tire Trials for my little bit of experimenting.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
John - have you considered a screen/cat walk over the winch? Saw these somewhere (?..!) and had the idea.

winch screen.jpg

I know the winch is the next size up, but you get the idea. Shame ours don't have that nice Esmet termination.

Artisan

Thanks John. After searching the 700+ pages I found it (naturally starting from the back). Can't quite make it out but it looks like it's non metallic - f/g or plastic so there would be a load of "No Step" stencils needed.
I think I'll go with steel or Al chequerplate, folded to a hexagon (top half) type profile then I can dance all over it.

Here is the TM extract for those interested.

Those rear fenders MIGHT be coming from www.protech.net

If anyone finds more info please post up.

P/N 30-7364 w/ different suffixs are HERE

I would love some fenders in the back.

TM 9-2320-303-24P PDF pg #626

Last edited:

DrillerSurplus

Those rear fenders MIGHT be coming from www.protech.net

If anyone finds more info please post up.

P/N 30-7364 w/ different suffixs are HERE

I would love some fenders in the back.

TM 9-2320-303-24P PDF pg #626

I think I have some of those fenders. They came from GL in a crate along with some other mystery parts. I couldn't find any part#'s on them but I'll get someone to get dimensions.

ReoRider

Got in a few more updates on the Freightliner M916A1, thanks to the NOS cab and nose (mini glider kit) from SS member Plane Fast.

He was able to deliver it to TNJ Murray in Delaware so the ride back to VT was not bad. These were sold by GL over the last 1-2 years and this one I got was for a later model M915A3. The nose was a easy switch, all wired up, with fresh engine insulation and lighting. Amazing fit of the camo pattern-factory parts built to the same spec.
IMG_2700.jpgIMG_2710.jpgIMG_2714.jpgIMG_2722.jpg
The cab was complete with "new car" smell and was designed for a complete switch out for the line haul models. I saw it as a potential Freightliner dealer inventory of new parts to change over.
IMG_2694.jpgIMG_2698.jpgIMG_2738.jpgIMG_2742.jpg
Tucked away on a dolly, a friend took a picture and claimed it was in the warehouse with the Indian Jones Ark.

Parts have started to move over from the new cab, the trickiest one being the new style steering column-both tilting and telescoping. Not an operation for the faint hearted!
IMG_2879.jpgIMG_3008.jpg

Cont....

ReoRider

More Little Stuff...

The front lighting needed a boost and pictures from Afghanistan provided the pattern. Trillant lighting from an SS listing, in 24 volts, seemed like the ticket.
IMG_3015.jpgIMG_2761.jpgIMG_2764.jpg

The doors were switched out, providing new glass and winders along with the mirror brackets.
IMG_3006.jpgIMG_3014.jpg

New Bostrom seats were next, with the added lumbar support on the later models. Replaced the kick panels with fresh versions.
IMG_3012.jpgIMG_3011.jpg

Up next will probably be the electric wipers and perhaps even switch out the integral A/C evaporator, to replace the one on the ceiling from the military kit.

The mud season is about over here and some warm weather driving can begin. Just a reminder of not so long ago...
IMG_2909.jpgIMG_2908.jpg

John

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
John - where did you pull the 24v for the lamps from? I thought the trucks main (lighting) system was 12...... with only the trailer port on the crossmember (pintle towing) as 24v.

Bye the way - I have almost finished my flatbed attachment (PLS type deal for the fifth wheel - ballast platform maybe) so will post pics when I can get to the shop comfortably! (ACL/MCL knee surgery 6 wks ago).

Last edited:

ReoRider

Howard,

There are two bus connections, 12 and 24 volt, that live inside the main power panel (fuses and breakers), low down in the center of the dash. The new front driving lights are run from there, up to a switch and fuse on the dash. They are wicked bright and seem rugged enough for the location.

Now we have to see your flatbed attachment (haven't forgotten about the ballast box plan), so get that leg in shape and snap some pictures!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks