• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M916A1 Tire Trials

ReoRider

Tire choice discussions seem to run through many of the larger truck threads and the 916A1 is no exception. The difference is there seem to be no defenders of the original issue rubber on Freightliners with their highway style tread. The one that I picked up from GL, for no apparent reason, had recently had its originals swapped for a new set of G177's in 11:00 X 20. A familiar size with a good mud/snow tread. I happily ran them through two winters while plotting their demise.

Going to a few shows and hauling some good weight determined two problems. Big truck, big wheel wells...small tires = something wrong. More engaging problem was the old RPM and MPH curves. The Detroit 60 will comfortably run at its rated max RPM giving a road speed of about 58 MPH. Fast enough for load carrying on two lane blacktop, but silly in terms of the RPM expended, when you have 400 HP available. So, change all three ring and pinion sets as some do, or swap the Allison for a later model with OD in top. Both good ideas, expensive for sure, but they wouldn't help with problem one. So bigger tires were in order.

Surplus choices of sufficiently larger rubber come in two sizes 14 and 16. I played around mounting trial tires in front and rear positions, checking the body interference, as the A1 is not as wide open as the A0. The 16's would require considerable adjustment of the front fenders, rear storage boxes, and generally looked a little out of place. The 14's however looked just like they were the ones meant to be issued with the truck. Lower front fender panel was moved straight back a few inches, and then add a few inches to the bottom of your boots and you are ready to climb aboard.

IMG_2169.jpgIMG_2173.jpgIMG_2174.jpgIMG_2175.jpgIMG_2178.jpg
The fit was good, 14 Michelins on 5 ton combat wheels. First run down the road was the real fun. Was just like when back in the day I got a set of 4.88 gears right at the Dodge truck dealer for my M37, to replace the stock 5.83's..... found a used dial gauge, an inch pound torque wrench, and was in business. The effective gear ratio change in the Freightliner is equivalent to that, going from the 11:00's to the 14's is .877. Translated that means your top gear is equivalent to an OD of that ratio. This spreads your transmission gears out so that you haven't run through them all in the first half block. The real numbers mean 50 MPH before is now 57. Or for my running I can travel 50/55 loaded with reduced RPM and some extra headroom for safety and planning ahead down the road.
IMG_2181.jpgIMG_2182.jpgIMG_2183.jpgIMG_2187.jpg
Trailer hook-up sets you higher at the nose, not a problem for the M172A1, as it was pulled by both the M123 and the M911. Run down the road with empty trailer was stable on the singles, and again much better match with the gear box and tire size. Next, the VT show last weekend provided an opportunity to work up some more loading and check the results.

John

Last edited:

ReoRider

Tires cont.

Added an M20 A/C for some extra weight and headed to the show at just about 60k. Performance was outstanding. Familiar road- all up and down, and the change was clear. Better ride, more rationale shifting and quieter cab.IMG_2191.jpgIMG_2190.jpgIMG_2194.jpgIMG_2195.jpgIMG_2196.jpgIMG_2197.jpg
Yea, I kinda like the truck.

John

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

Man.....that truck is tougher than woodpecker lips.

When I was in an ordnance unit at Fort Benning we had two M916's and two of the same type trailer shown in your pics.
We hauled D7 dozers and 10K rough terrain forklifts (and anything else that the trailer could haul) with them.
Ours had the "city tires" on them and weren't worth a hoot off road.
The longest trip I ever made in one was from Fort Benning, GA to Fort Smith, AR and back. Being gearbound on the interstate sucks.
Ours had the 16 speed Cat transmissions in them and I loved them.

Ddmk18

That's an awesome looking rig!! Now you have me contemplating selling my m932a2 shorty to find a project like that. Can't wait to hear what the wife says when I run that idea by her. Lol

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree looks great, but to TACOM's credit, the stock tires would probably be better if you were hauling a 67,000 lb Cat 621 scraper, as the LETs were expected to do.

ReoRider

Certainly agree with the design mission of the LET to haul at a GCWR of 130,000lbs., and thus have the tires adequate to carry 16k at the front axle and 52k at the rear. The GVWR is thus 68k with the rest of the weight carried by the trailer. Original duels in the rear support the 52k fine but I always felt that they were light for the 16k at the front; and adding the winch hanging out there didn't help.

My lighter design load was for a lowboy M172A1 (16,500 empty), light tank as load (30,000) and M916A1 with 14k empty front and 14k empty rears. The trailer properly loaded carries 40% of the added load on the 5th wheel and 60% on its rears. For a 30k load you end up with 17k on the 5th wheel and 29.5k on the trailer rear tires. The trailer loading added and distributed to the empty truck tire load puts 16k on the front tires and 29k on the rears.

The 14:00's are rated at 11k max at full pressure (110), downsizing the rear to a 44k rating from the original 52k. The 29k on the rears is still conservative for the tires. Now if I were to load my friends 60k + Sherman, there would be 16k on the front axle and 41k on the rear of the truck. Much closer to the tire limits but remember the GCWR would now be at 105k or so, with its own fun and games to be concerned with.

John

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
John - is there anything left of the G 177's ? If so, are you getting rid of them? I need two for steers (would prefer to go all 10) but that's not going to happen for a while..... OR, I might fall in love with the singles and go that route after a closer look this weekend : )

hklvette

Keep in mind that the rated max pressure for 5T combat wheels is 85psi. I'm sure there's safety factor baked into that number, but I wouldn't want to push it.

ReoRider

Yup, went through the tire inflation/load tables from Michelin and am running 75 on the rears and 85 up front as a start. I imagine if the real heavy loads were in the future then Hemett wheels with longer studs would be in order.

ReoRider

UP-DATE - Speedometer Correction

Increasing your tire size always leads to disappointing speedometer readings. No fun to be going faster at a given RPM and have the speedometer not tell you so. Help is available for the cable driven units with a little gear box made by Clark Brothers.

IMG_2453.jpgIMG_2445.jpg

Take a ride with a GPS and note the difference in top gear say at 50 on the speedometer and what the GPS is reading. Do it carefully and then get the multiplier ratio figured (actual speed divided by speedometer reading). This number (greater than 1.00) is the gear ratio correction that you want.

Next go to the following www site ( clarkbrothers.net/pdf/sc795_catalog.pdf ) for their Catalog Supplement and look at the ratios available for their "All Makes" correction box. Get the number for the closest ratio available to the one you figured and then:

Go to www.TransmissionCenter.net , the retail distributor for Clark Brothers (they are wholesale only). Their GM/Dodge/Ford Ratio Adapter is what you want. Your ratio number is likely to be in their "special order" category- no big deal-they then go to their box of little gears and make up what you want from the Clark list of numbers.

Tried this out on the M916A1 with the added 14:00's and the readings were right on the mark. As calculated from the tire diameters the original RPM for 50 now runs you at 57, and the speedometer says so!

IMG_2275.jpgIMG_2279.jpgIMG_2306.jpg
Couple of shots at the summer meets with the bigger tires. Still want to add rubber front fender extensions (as with the M916A3) as the new tires are more than a little wider.

John

ReoRider

Lots of snow this winter with opportunity to try out the 14:00 X 20 Michelin replacements on the M916A1. The bigger singles, running in line, did much better than the duals last year. Got a set of chains from Artisan and can start up from dead stop on iced over hills. The posi rears and inter-axle lock up certainly help as well.
IMG_2650.jpgIMG_2655.jpgIMG_2685.jpgIMG_2653.jpg

Would be interesting to build a ballast box for the rear, like the one on the WWII Diamond T 45 ton M19 tank transporter. It pulled a Sherman on a full trailer off the pintle hook, with traction added through sand or cement blocks in the 3.5 cu yd. box, depending on the weight of the load behind. So how about a box that has a king pin bottom, that locks into the 5th wheel, with pivot lock out, and provides some weight on the rears for added traction when running bob-tailed for all season off-road driving. I've seen cement blocks lashed onto 5th wheels at dirt track pulls, but this would require a sturdy container and mount for more reliable performance.......?

IMG_2659.jpgIMG_2661.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks