• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M919 gear ratio?

TheBuggyman

All,

Does anyone have information on M919's? The axles do not appear to be a toploader style but more of a commercial style axle. What is the gear ratio in the rears?
Is there a two speed rear in the truck? Is the entire truck double framed?
Are the rears air brakes? I'm looking at a bare chassis with rear drive tandems and a lift axle and a front drive axle, don't know if this helps or not......

Thanks in advance!

M1075

All,

Does anyone have information on M919's? The axles do not appear to be a toploader style but more of a commercial style axle. What is the gear ratio in the rears?
Is there a two speed rear in the truck? Is the entire truck double framed?
Are the rears air brakes? I'm looking at a bare chassis with rear drive tandems and a lift axle and a front drive axle, don't know if this helps or not......

Thanks in advance!
Axles are 6.17:1, single speed, 75000 GVW, true air brakes

reb87

Also the transfer case is single range, no low range or neutral( power always goes thru it to the back axles) Book says to start in 6th gear with loads over 75000 and 4th if 75k to 105k, 3rd if 105k to 130k.

TheBuggyman

Here are the pics of what I've won, the auction is closed so I feel safe in posting.:wink:

What is it? Anyone interested in the wheels and tires?

Attachments

TheBuggyman

My initial thoughts on this is to add the lift axle to my 813, possibly use the 919 frame (appears to be double framed) and if possible use the air brake components on my existing axles. As far as the air brake conversion, can I use the air actuation on my existing brakes or do I have to switch the backing plates and drums? (I know that won't work due to the drum diameter with my existing 20" wheels)

ihmopar

Does the parts truck still have the air switch on the dash to lock the rear axles together and the front? If so, would you be interested in selling it. I broke the plastic lever on mine. Got to use a pair of pliers to engage it now.
Thanks

dm22630

AH HA! You bought it!

I really restrained myself from buying that today. I even had a shipper lined up to pick it up next week!

All I wanted it for was the rims/tires......PM me with what you want for them (as long as they arent dryrotted).

And....the best part about that truck is....NO euc! :)

TheBuggyman

I don't see anything like it in the pictures,the cab is stripped pretty bare, but when I pick it up I'll look for it.
If I find it I'll get your addy and send it to you. I won't need it and you can have it . Merry X-Mas! (maybe)

TheBuggyman

AH HA! You bought it!

I really restrained myself from buying that today. I even had a shipper lined up to pick it up next week!

All I wanted it for was the rims/tires......PM me with what you want for them (as long as they arent dryrotted).

And....the best part about that truck is....NO euc! :)

I'm going to try to pick it up next Thursday, I'll scope the tires out then. My plan was to flat tow it with my 813. Do you think that the front tires will turn without any weight on them?

I'm also wondering what to do to release the air brakes.:-?

dm22630

There is more weight on the front axle that any of the rears....

I think it will pull fine......it says 12,000 lbs.....that is lighter than a deuce.

As far as the brakes.....I couldnt tell you.....I havent graduated to air brake trucks yet! ;)

You got lucky with the location didnt you?! What is that like 20 miles from Fredericksburg?

ihmopar

Thanks for looking for the switch. If it happens to be there I will be glad to pay for it or least pay for shipping. For towing the chassis home, cage the break chambers on the back. The make a special cage bolt to screw in the break chambers to release the brakes. If you do not have any go to a local truck service shop or a parts store like NAPA they should have them. Or if you have a friend who is a truck driver, they will probably have a set you could borrow.

reb87

If you look at your pics you can see the bolts in the middle of the air brake housings. They are already caged. The front brakes dont need to be caged.

TheBuggyman

If you look at your pics you can see the bolts in the middle of the air brake housings. They are already caged. The front brakes dont need to be caged.
Reb,
I saw that too after it was explained to me. That is normally the air connection, is it not?

Why don't the front need to be caged? Do they operate reverse of the rear brakes for steering control in the event of a loss of air pressure?

reb87

No it is not the air connection. Modern trucks with air brakes have springbrakes on the back axles. They have springs that put the brakes on if there is no air in the system. If you are driving down the road and lose air pressure the springs put the brakes on. When you start the truck you have to wait until you get about 60psi in the system before you can push in the air button that allows air to the springbrakes and drive(have to wait until the air pressure is enough to release the spring brake0. If you need to move the truck you have to take the T-bolt (stowed in the outside of the housing) and insert it into the middle of the springbreak, then tighten the nut and that compresses the spring and releases the brakes. The front axles dont usually have springbrakes on them, I dont know why.