• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M920 charging/alternator question

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys my 920 had not run in 2.5 years and when I went to start it the other day it fired up like I drove it yesterday. After starting the engine and letting air build of course I am watching oil pressure and all other pertinent gauges closely I noticed the voltmeter was only reading about 8 volts on the discharge side of the gauge. After the engine had run for about 15 minutes I brought up the RPMs a bit and the gauge came up to maybe 9 volts still on the discharge side of the gauge, I know this isnt right. The truck was charging normally when I parked it in the warehouse a couple years ago can you give me any ideas on whats going on with this alternator? Does an alternator lose charging ability just sitting there not being used? How do I get it fixed?
All ideas appreciated
Karl

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hey guys my 920 had not run in 2.5 years and when I went to start it the other day it fired up like I drove it yesterday. After starting the engine and letting air build of course I am watching oil pressure and all other pertinent gauges closely I noticed the voltmeter was only reading about 8 volts on the discharge side of the gauge. After the engine had run for about 15 minutes I brought up the RPMs a bit and the gauge came up to maybe 9 volts still on the discharge side of the gauge, I know this isnt right. The truck was charging normally when I parked it in the warehouse a couple years ago can you give me any ideas on whats going on with this alternator? Does an alternator lose charging ability just sitting there not being used? How do I get it fixed?
All ideas appreciated
Karl
Check voltage off the back of it. Don't trust the gauge

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will check voltage off the rear of the Alternator and all the batteries are brand new 6TLs but will check voltage and see where it is!