• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M920 Front tire and wheel switch out?

vinceM920

I need advice. I have and M920/M917 we run as a dump everyday. I was told 15.5r20 tires and wheels would work on the front axle for floatation tires. I want to leave to 1100r24s on back right now. WILL THIS WORK WITH NO MOD TO TRUCK? If not what will? What military vehicle wheels will work etc.? Any input and knowledge anyone has would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Vince

HEMTT combat wheels (20") will fit on the front with some grinding of the brake drum (will not hurt the drum). You can also use wheels off the MK48 that are 21" without grinding. 11r24's are about 47" tall IIRC, so if you put a 20" HEMTT wheel on the front with 14r20's (48's) you should be fine. I would put a tape measure on the tires first though to be sure they are pretty close in size, also (obviously) don't use 6x6 on hard surfaces.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
395/85R20s are 46+ inches but offer greater floatation because of the width. The Michelin XZLs are also rated for 12,300 lbs. each. However, they are only rated to 55 mph but then, so are the 14R20s.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HEMTT combat wheels (20") will fit on the front with some grinding of the brake drum (will not hurt the drum). You can also use wheels off the MK48 that are 21" without grinding. 11r24's are about 47" tall IIRC, so if you put a 20" HEMTT wheel on the front with 14r20's (48's) you should be fine. I would put a tape measure on the tires first though to be sure they are pretty close in size, also (obviously) don't use 6x6 on hard surfaces.
I bet the D.O.T. will have a different opinion an grinding brake drums on vehicles used on public roads.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks