• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M920 made it home!

My new M920 made it home safely! :jumpin::jumpin: I was able to find a great shipper that got it to me safely and was even a day earlier than estimated. Cant wait to start working on this thing!

Well for now im gonna concentrate on getting the engine repaired and the rest of the truck mechanically sound. I bought this truck with a damaged engine it has water/coolant in the engine oil. Im hoping it wasnt run long enough like this to damage the crankshaft but I have a lead on a complete used engine if it is. Eventually I would like to install a knuckle boom crane and design a bed that can be easily swapped out with the 5th wheel. As well as a set of 16.00's

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SK congrats on getting her home! There is something about an M-920 that just puts a smile on my face! When you get to the 1600 there is a lot written on this site to assist you, I read it all before I converted my 920 over to them, I am not an expert on this process but after doing it an mounting all the tires to HEMTT rims I feel somewhat qualified to answer question if you have any feel free to PM me and I will help you all I can SK!
Nice looking truck, Congratulations!
Karl

KK thank you sir! When Im at that point I will certainly shoot you a PM. I read several of the m920 specific threads I found before I purchased it and the Hemtt wheels seem to the the wheel of choice. I understand some modification of the drum is required. But im a good ways away from tires at this point .

dmetalmiki thanks for the compliments. It certainly is a Huge addition to the collection! I had never even seen an m920 in person prior to this one being delivered and even though I knew what to expect I was surprised at how big it actually is. Im lucky to have a brother that lives in a rural area and lets me park my junk at his house because I dont believe this one would even fit in my driveway.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on the new truck! While the M920 might not be ready for the Big Bend Get Together you're more than welcome to bring one of your other toys or just show up in a civi vehicle and ride with someone else

86m1028

Ditto on what Karl said
I have a thread here about putting 16.00's on my m916.
Little machine work on frt drums & your good to go.
The 16.00's look like they belong on it.

I was was hoping for a 920 but ended up with the 916
Now just need to find a really large knuckleboom to throw on it :)

Keep us posted on your progress !

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a m920 close by to you on 16.00's up at elephant butte lake. If you go to some of the gatherings up there you will run into him, and I bet he has some good advice for the truck if you had any questions on parts and such

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck, what a monster, an in-frame rebuild on the offending cylider,(new main bearings), if the crank isn't damaged will be alot easier. Diffentially keep it at your brother's place, because the nieghbor will definitely willl say , What the heck??

mkcoen wish I could make it up there but my budget is stretched so tight right now I could play a tune on it. Ill be eating bologna sandwiches for awhile but its all worth it for my trucks. Ill try my best to make the next one I would love to see Big Bend I've always wanted to go and it would be real cool to do it in a bunch of MVs

86m1028 I look forward to getting some big tires on this thing it looks like a big roller skate on stock tires. Its funny how that works I was looking for a m916 originally... Im happy with my truck now and I think the extra wheelbase should help out with my plans and not affect it terribly bad offroad. I have my eye on a few knuckle booms Im just waiting for one to pop up in my area. Shipping costs can kill a good deal on stuff that big as I keep finding out.

fsearls92 thanks for the tip I go to the Butte fairly often. Never had any of my military vehicle's up there but I hope to soon. Ive seen lots of dueces and 5 tons even a few HET's but never a 920 Ill keep my eyes out though

Scar59 thank you sir! Im gonna try to save it rather than swapping it out for sure. I suspect either the lower liner seals or the oil cooler to be the culprit. I know that usually oil cooler failure will cause oil in the water scenario as the oil pressure is higher but the previous owner mentioned the oil cooler was recently replaced so perhaps it was improperly installed or they snagged on O-ring on install. Im hoping to start diagnosis on the engine this weekend.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I think the 920 is taller than all the trees in thr pics wait. Its west texas. All the trees in a 150mi radius then.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are a lot of different kinds of mv's up at the Butte. There are also a few mv gatherings up there during the year. They are always a good time. I used to be there basically every other weekend until I moved to Florida.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks