• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M920 starter issues help

Thomas_G

I have a m920 that I replaced the starter, alternator, starter relay, starter push button and batteries. The batteries where old 6TLs and I figured why I was there I’d just replace everting so wouldn’t have to worry about it. I have a new shifter assembly on as well

problem is they when I push the start button it does the “click click click” like It’s trying to engage. If I jump at solenoid it starts right up

I attached some pictures of item. I put wires back exactly how they where prior.

Attachments

loosegravel

Just a retired mechanic who's having fun!
I have a m920 that I replaced the starter, alternator, starter relay, starter push button and batteries. The batteries where old 6TLs and I figured why I was there I’d just replace everting so wouldn’t have to worry about it. I have a new shifter assembly on as well

problem is they when I push the start button it does the “click click click” like It’s trying to engage. If I jump at solenoid it starts right up

I attached some pictures of item. I put wires back exactly how they where prior.
Is the clicking sound coming from the relay? If so, use a test light or a volt meter to check each of the large terminals on the back of the relay. One of them is battery power and should be hot all of the time. The other large terminal only becomes hot when the relay is energized and it goes to the starter. When you say that is starts when you "jump at the solenoid" what terminals are you jumping? One of the small terminals on the relay should get power from the push button switch when it is pressed. The other small terminal should go to ground, or through something that will supply a good ground. If the relay is actually pulling in "clicking" and both of the large terminals are not hot at that time, then your new relay is defective.

Thomas_G

Is the clicking sound coming from the relay? If so, use a test light or a volt meter to check each of the large terminals on the back of the relay. One of them is battery power and should be hot all of the time. The other large terminal only becomes hot when the relay is energized and it goes to the starter. When you say that is starts when you "jump at the solenoid" what terminals are you jumping? One of the small terminals on the relay should get power from the push button switch when it is pressed. The other small terminal should go to ground, or through something that will supply a good ground. If the relay is actually pulling in "clicking" and both of the large terminals are not hot at that time, then your new relay is defective.
Hi Loose

I jump
Off the 2 large terminals. The clicks or clunks sound like starter area

loosegravel

Just a retired mechanic who's having fun!
Hi Loose

I jump
Off the 2 large terminals. The clicks or clunks sound like starter area
Interesting. So are you getting any power from the start button to the relay on one of the small terminals? Again, is that relay pulling in or energizing when you push the start button? What is your battery voltage reading? I know that you said you replaced it, but if there’s a draw from something else the low voltage can be problematic.

Hammer

I have found that low voltage on the 12volt side to cause this in TWO of my m920s so far.
Honestly, find a solenoid that has a much lower voltage for signal and it will work fine. If not, just jumping that solenoid will get you going in a pinch.
Also, as per usual, check your grounds and supply power (the 12v supply to the cabs on these is stupidly small and underpowered.)

Thomas_G

Can you send me a picture of how your relay looks wired? I have holes all in mine and I looked at TM 9-2320-273-20 section 5-25 and want to see if mine maybe wired wrong? New shifter tower, 24v relay. Now I just get no clunks or nothing once I push the button. Last time I was getting the clunk clunk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks