• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M920 - will this starter work: Delco Remy 8200287 39MT 12V

farmer73

I am considering switching over to a 12V system in my 1980 M920 since I do not have any 24v trailers and may need a new starter and alternator.

Will this starter work: Delco Remy 8200287 39MT 12V ?

I saw some older posts where people have converted to 12V in the M920. I have asked about part numbers for starter and alternator but no responses yet.

This post seems to have all the info I need for converting over to a 12V system - other than confirming a tried and true 12V starter for a Cummins NTC400 Big Cam: https://steelsoldiers.com/threads/m920-24-volt-delete.98729/

Thanks!

Last edited:

ODAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have an exact answer to your question, except as a former M920 owner.

I think the new starter will work just fine so long as it bolts up, and the Bendix/pinion length is the same as the original. Placing them side by side on the bench should confirm.

I recall that the engine is basically an off-the-shelf Cummins, so obtaining a 12V starter should be easy. If a dealer recommended the Delco Remy 8200287 39MT 12V, and without doing any independent research, it that it's correct for the engine.

Hope that helps.

ODAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And a follow-up....

A few years back, we pulled the engine with all of its accessories from a scrapped M920 and dropped it into an International 2574 which is a 12V truck. I don't recall that we replaced the starter.

Check your TM for the M920. The starter may already be 12V.

farmer73

Thanks John. My current starter is 24v and current alternator has 12v and 24v feeds.

Once I pull the starter and test it, I will decide if I rebuild, replace its solenoid, or go 12v on a new one.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Make sure to run your starter wire from the switch on the dash button to the starter. The factory solenoid in the box isn't needed if you convert

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks