• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M921A2 Tractor- Recovery in Scottsburg VA, back to Ohio

ET48

M931A2 Tractor- Recovery in Scottsburg VA, back to Ohio

Ended up winning the auction on a 1990 M921 tractor with 2,900 miles on Govplanet, this being the first time purchasing from there, I gotta say the overall experience was pretty good.

Truck was in Scottsburg VA. Paid for the truck, acquired the bill of sale by mail, and got a temp tag at the local BMV in Ohio. Drove down from Ohio on a Thursday night, straight thru in the SUV loaded with tools, mudflaps, starting fluid, fire extinguisher, Lucas fuel additives, jumper cables, just about everything I could think of. Stopped about 40 mins away from the destination to get 1.5-2hrs of sleep. Woke up, got breakfast, and arrived at 9am Friday morning.

Showed my release form and was ready to get the truck. Truck wouldn't start (which was accurately described online), had to be jumpstarted with a Humvee located nearby with the military jumper cable. Guys at the location were willing to help with anything I needed, but obviously just wanted us outa there. I let the truck run while I installed mudflaps, poured in the additives, checked the brakes, mounted the fire extinguisher and checked everything out. Little blue haze was coming from the exhaust while idling, but figured it might be from sitting.

Tires, brakes, engine, and transmission all seemed to be in great condition, these were my biggest "worries".

In about an hour after arriving, I was ready to head out for home. First hour or so was good driving, tires were rough until they started "rounding" back out. After 100 miles or so, stopped to top off the fuel tanks and added 10-11 gallons.

Truck ran good rest of the trip, a few loud rattles here and there, stopped once more for fuel, ended using 51 gallons of fuel for about 520 miles trip back. ~10mpg, not bad! The Lucas fuel additive did it's job and cleaned the injectors, eliminating the small amount of haze from the exhaust. Top flatland speed was about 68-70mph, top speed down hill 75mph. Slowest speed going up the VA hills was 45-50mph. Very impressed with the trucks performance. Gotta say tho, the drivers seat is going to be removed for an air ride seat, its just not comfortable for long trips.

Now that the truck is home, let the fun begin! Got a few wiring issues to get sorted out, but all in all the truck is in good shape and was depicted very accurately online.

I've already removed the 45lb super quiet muffler, for now just reinstalled the stack in place of the muffler, sounds better!

Enjoy the pics!

CAM02833.jpgCAM02840.jpgCAM02842.jpgCAM02834.jpg12039222_10205996864814703_7090796281499885568_n.jpg

Last edited:

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Turn up the fuel (great play-by-play on here). Got any ideas on the air ride? I got some real nice ones in the classifieds. I know folks are heading back to Ohio from the GA rally in a few weeks and one or two could hitch a ride back to you.

I watched that truck, Scottsburg is only about two hours away, you got a great buy !

dmetalmiki

That is one great looking truck, well done, glad you enjoyed a trouble free ride home. Also nice to hear about the assistance extended to you by the pick up point.

ET48

Correct M931a2, hit the wrong key.

Thanks for the kind comments, extremely happy so far. I opened up the pcb black box and replaced the bottom solenoid, that fixed my starting from the dash issue. Now just need to figure out why none of the lights work

pevrs114

Where is Scottsburg, VA?

By my map, it's showing down near Lake Gaston / Bugg's Island, near South Boston, VA...

If so, that's only about an hour or so from me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks