• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 air conditioning a/c install project

74M35A2

That kit is heavy, expensive, V-belt, and a big pain in the a$$. Moves your fan forward so it doesn't hit the new V belt, additional pulley bolts onto front of crank pulley, etc... I had the kit and sold it because I wanted to stay serpentine drive, and because it's price went up through the roof so I netted like 5x what I paid for it 2 years prior. I'm adding my A/C compressor onto my existing A2/8.3L serpentine drive via making a bracket to mount it above the alternator and using a universal compressor mount. Re-pin the tensioner spring by 90 degrees to clock it, add a longer belt, and done. If you search, you can find several instances where guys have mounted a second alternator onto the 8.3L serp system, right above the first alternator, which is how I am doing it but with an A/C compressor instead of an alternator. Looks like I should fab up a few extra and sell them complete for $400 plug-and-play? No waiting, no group buys, no thread searching, no adjusting belts or squealing when it is wet, just cash and carry.... You can easily swap out a v belt clutch pulley with a serpentine one, and same with the clutch magnet, or just use a resistor or relay off one battery to drop it to 12V. I would make it for the popular ear mount (not pad mount) type Sanden compressor only, which I think is the one that comes in all the kits most people here are wanting to use. I have not done mine yet, but I do have the parts already to do so, if there are some takers, I may pull it ahead. This would be for the A2/8.3L only, sorry 250 guys, I don't have one to work with in front of me and that one should be easier to source from used truck parts yards. I'd supply required belt length / part number, or could include it for additional pass-through price. Pic below is of dual alternator systems (not mine), of which just put an A/C compressor in place of the top alternator. Also pic of A/C compressor mount type which would be suitable for use with this bracket. Turn-key Sanden compressor model is 4866, which is equipped with an 8 rib serp 24v clutch. Aftermarket version compressor complete with clutch can be had new for less than $200 delivered from eBay. Come get some...

Attachments

Last edited:

grendel

I guess I need to look at the M939 kit I bought... it's still in the crate in my back yard. Will get to it soon, but will probably need one of your brackets, since I don't know what's in there.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Had my bracket from Kenway Engineering show up this past week. The price on them went up to around $250 for each bracket kit. Along with the AC/Heat box I acquired on here. I think I am going to use an AC condenser off an F-250 that should allow me to mount it vertically above my planned install of a oil cooler. Then just run my lines. All and All I should be AC installed with everything for around $600/$625. Just need to get my passengers seat thing arranged and get the air ride in.

Attachments

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Suprman has some condenser for the M939 that I used. I have installed three of them and they work great. You have to install a fan switch that the ac unit can turn on the motor fan.

Attachments

74M35A2

Had my bracket from Kenway Engineering show up this past week. The price on them went up to around $250 for each bracket kit. Along with the AC/Heat box I acquired on here. I think I am going to use an AC condenser off an F-250 that should allow me to mount it vertically above my planned install of a oil cooler. Then just run my lines. All and All I should be AC installed with everything for around $600/$625. Just need to get my passengers seat thing arranged and get the air ride in.
This is an A/C compressor mount for a Cummins 250 (855) engine, correct?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
This is an A/C compressor mount for a Cummins 250 (855) engine, correct?
Yes. Sorry. Forgot i had the notification turned off. I can make one i am sure for cheaper. I just didnt have the specs for it.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

TwistedOaks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Weren't you installing AC on your 84? Are you planning on fabbing a bracket? I just got off the phone with Kenway, and they're ridiculous. 3 weeks ago, they wanted $395, and today it's $290 - but a year ago it was $198.

Yes. Sorry. Forgot i had the notification turned off. I can make one i am sure for cheaper. I just didnt have the specs for it.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Weren't you installing AC on your 84? Are you planning on fabbing a bracket? I just got off the phone with Kenway, and they're ridiculous. 3 weeks ago, they wanted $395, and today it's $290 - but a year ago it was $198.
I bought the kenway kit. It was 225 for me. That was for everything I have one now and i have a cnc machine so i can cut and weld my own for future projects. For everything with the bolts and belts ill be around the 200 mark as well

TwistedOaks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that something you'll be doing soon? Kenway is also quoting 6 weeks lead time. I've got my kit in hand and looking to get mine rolling. Only thing I'm missing is the bracket (and belts).
I bought the kenway kit. It was 225 for me. That was for everything I have one now and i have a cnc machine so i can cut and weld my own for future projects. For everything with the bolts and belts ill be around the 200 mark as well

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I can make one in a day or so. Its the main bracket and adjuster bracket which is easy. And nuts and bolts crap. I think the list of them is on their site. Weird. 6 weeks. I ordered mine on a tuesday and had it the following Wednesday

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If i could get 5 people to buy them it would come down on cost a little bit. I just can line weld rather than doing 1 here and there. My current project is wheel spacers and propane injection for my 5 ton

TwistedOaks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
She said they're no longer stocking them and making to order. If you can set me up I'll PM you.
I can make one in a day or so. Its the main bracket and adjuster bracket which is easy. And nuts and bolts crap. I think the list of them is on their site. Weird. 6 weeks. I ordered mine on a tuesday and had it the following Wednesday

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Pm me with your email or cell. Its easier for me to text or email with all I've got going on.

74M35A2

Don't give up. Have you guys checked to see what the Cummins 855 engine uses for a bracket in big trucks? Maybe it is a plug and play piece from Cummins? Was not the case for the A2 8.3 with the military accessory drive config, which is why I made the kit. Maybe I should look into this for the 250 as well as alternators, as I get numerous requests for both.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks