• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 Air Leak Fix

brock

A number of weeks ago I had a thread about an air leak on my 1987 M923A2 that was shut down. This post is addressing the points discussed from that thread.

The symptom was a hissing sound coming from the intake stack and rapid air loss of the secondary air system. After much searching around the truck I was able to isolate the leak to the treadle valve under the dash. A stethescope was used to verify the leak was coming from the secondary braking system supply port and leaving through the exhaust port to the stack.

I ordered a replacement from Those Military Guys. Id like to add a couple of notes regarding the replacement treadle valve I bought:

The air pressure release port was not tapped for the -A2 configuration trucks with the Wet kit (uppermost port on the back of the valve). I had to tap the hole with a 1/2" NPT tap.

It is important to note that the replacement treadle valve came with a retaining plate that held the plunger assembly in place, not allowing the O-ring to pop out of place. Leave this on when attaching the pedal assembly on the valve, without the retaining plate the o-ring is at risk of being damaged.

After installation of the new valve the leak has gone away and braking effort has been significantly reduced. Total installation time took about 4 hours and was very straight forward.

If you are experiencing an air leak and cant seem to find it, take a look at your treadle valve.

I hope this post helps.

Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks