• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 and SAND??

Craig A Tull

OK it looks like a pot load of M923A1s and A2s ETC. are comming out for sale and I was wondering how those 14.00s performed in sand, I assume they will do pretty good, but thought I would ask anyway.
I have a Unimog fitted with 11.00-18s (Gama goat) NDs and the one and only time I ventured onto sand I felt lucky to get out alive! Of course the worst Gumbo on the planet is not a problem.
I would like something to bum around South Padre Island with and the Unimog is too expensive to sacrifice to the rust gods anyway.
Thanks

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know the 14.00-20's do well in sand. So the M923a1 and M923A2 will do fine. But a M923 with 11.00-20's will not do well.
The front tire just sink down into the sand.

Motiracer38

There was an M923(A3?) running around Pismo August 24-25 for the "Huckfest" that seemed to be having no problems. I didn't follow him long enough to see how well it did and I haven't been able to find any videos online. It sure made me miss mine though. There was also a bobbed deuce on 14s that was following him and it definately looked like he was lacking power.

Doomsday

I took my 923A1 toolin around Hungry Valley/Gorman which is mostly sandy terrain up there. Truck was running the 395/85R20 Michelin XMLs and it did great! It would hop in certain areas that I thought any truck would but thats the nature of sand. The wide foot print of all these super single tires helps a lot in the sand, deflated some, even better.

I actually just sold that 923 and replaced it with a practically new M932A2w/w. I am totally stoked to see how it handles up there. Of course the truck is mostly front heavy so gotta watch certain areas of down hill. Mostly just a creek runner this truck is. But it has the Michelin XZLs 14.00x20. The tires are lliterally brand new so for sand....we'll see......it will be interesting using the "sand" button on the CTIS to aid in my traction and driveability.

Craig A Tull

Thanks for the replies, I assume the A2 with it's smaller turbo engine would be more desirable and perhaps a little bit lighter on the front end, I see listings for that engine all the way to 400 HP so getting a little more juice should not be a problem if needed.

Craig A Tull

I have another question, is there any more room between the steering wheel and the seat on the M923 than the M35A2? I am not very comfortable in the Deuce (read I am a big boy)

Craig A Tull

Well That M923A2 I was looking at will not be coming home with me, it was not even that nice and it went for more than any 923 I have been watching for the last 6 weeks or so, there were at least two pretty desperate parties out there, I will wait until the end of the year when most are trying to buy Xmas presents for the kiddies and or the wife, not problem here as I am the only "kiddie" I have to buy for....Should have bid on the really nice one in GA