• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 battery charger

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
There are various ways to charge the batteries. The PulseTech solar chargers are one way. And you also can do a 24 volt charger through the slave port.

24v charging thru slave port

welcome to the forums

kungfu dave

I personally plan on going PulseTech when I get mine up and running. I like the desulfator option and would be curious to know what the other guys think about it.

Oh, and welcome from a fellow newbie!

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
20161006_234752.jpg

Batteryminder 24v

This is what I use. I have a J-hook under the cab to hang it from so it's out of the direct sun and rain, although it is weather resistant. It desulfates, compensates for temperature and has several settings for different types of batteries and charge rates.

74M35A2

Can I be a dweeb and ask why you guys need a charger at all? I'm down to only 2 batteries, and as long as they are less than 5 years old, she will crank up un-assisted even on a snowy January morning. There is no draw on the batteries when the truck is off. A truck with 4 batteries should be able to sit for a very long time, and crank right up. I know I am not answering the question, but....

I make a portable one powered by a 4hp Honda commercial engine that spits out 50 amps @ 28v if you are dead and want it alive quick, in the middle of nowhere or no other 24v jump sources present.

Last edited:

TwistedOaks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Simple... "Mission Capable" at all times. That, and I constantly forget the stupid parking lights. :roll:

Actually, I like to run a lot of my accessories while parked. Fans, lights, etc... all eat that extra little bit, which will fully replace in an hour of solid sunlight.

Ok one more reason, then I'll step down from my soapbox... I personally run dual banks on an isolator. If I constantly stay on bank A, and forget something, I can always 100% count on bank B to be fully charged. And de-sulfated.
Can I be a dweeb and ask why you guys need a charger at all? I'm down to only 2 batteries, and as long as they are less than 5 years old, she will crank up un-assisted even on a snowy January morning. There is no draw on the batteries when the truck is off. A truck with 4 batteries should be able to sit for a very long time, and crank right up. I know I am not answering the question, but....

I make a portable one powered by a 4hp Honda commercial engine that spits out 50 amps @ 28v if you are dead and want it alive quick, in the middle of nowhere or no other 24v jump sources present.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I use the maintenance chargers more for the maintenance side of the process, as opposed to the charging side. They really do extend battery life. The desulfation process is the main reason for me.

My lawnmover and 4wheeler sit on the 12v version when not in use. The lawnmower is still on the original battery 8 years later and the 4wheeler is going on 7 years and still going strong. There is obviously something to them so I'll keep plugging in when not in use.

Csm Davis

You guys just need better alternators. :)
Hey discoball your alts are great but the man asked about chargers. Let's see if you can stay on target here. I personally would say that if you are going to be keeping the truck inside get a good desulfating maintenance charger, if you're keeping the truck outside I would run the solar charger shown earlier Not the small solargizer but larger one made by the same company

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

therooster2001

The solargizers that came in most of them, are not chargers, but desulfaters. Wonderful job at keeping the battery optimum, but not charged. With no sulfate it will keep the charge better. It's a funny argument, but check the differences, some units have both built in. NOCO is my choice for the charger. 7200. Good company, and replaced my unit when it encounter an issue. And the NOCO has a "rescue option" which is a desulfater if the battery needs repair.

EDIT: Solargizers are not to be confused with what TwistedOaks has, he actually has a solar charger / maintainer. Solargizers are just for "maintanance", but look very similar, and are often mounted just like his, but usually are green.

https://www.amazon.com/Solargizer-m...F8&qid=1476021518&sr=8-1&keywords=Solargizers

Last edited:

TwistedOaks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They're 12V units, which are 20% of the cost the the Pulsetech 24V units, and they work independently for each of the 4 batteries.

The short story is, I was going to switch out to a two battery system, and had been running for a couple days (very well) on the two. Then, I had no crank after leaving the main on for three days and forgetting about it. I had just bought 2 of the Pulsetechs but not installed them. 1 hour of sunlight, and I had full crank. That sold me. Also made me want to have something that I don't have to remember or even think about. I prefer self sustaining systems, that don't rely on outside availability. That's just my goal... YMMV
Why do you have 4?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks