• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 Battery Redux

DeuceIsLoose

Hi gents. I went last week to do a pre recovery inspection on my latest addition to the family--a M923 and the batteries were so dead we couldn't even jump it. All it would do was click when we turned the ignition.

So I need some new batteries... My questions is since the two of the four are in parallel can I go cheap and just use two new good ones in series or does there have to be four for it to run?

Oh and this is my first experiment with the 900 series so please let me know if there is anything else super important for me to know for a 170 mile recovery that wouldn't be apparent in the TMs.

Thanks tons for the advice as always.

Donnie

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Two high CCA battteries will be fine as long as they are fully charged. I would spend the extra money and get two now ones......look for a battery dealer that sells blems.

Just make sure you secure them so they won't move around while you are driving it home.

Once you get it home you can fab a permanent hold down system.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two batteries in series will start it in decent weather. Don't figure on starting it with two batteries if it is really cold. My m923 is driven several times a week and mechanically is pretty tight, but I had to crank it a long time the other day and it was just below freezing.

You could always give it a little shot of ether to help that first start.

Monkeyboyarmy

There is a wire that comes off of the 12 volt side of those batteries. I guess that I don't know what it would be for on the 900 series but make sure it doesn't get hooked up to 24 volts. And the 250's like a shot of ether if it is any cooler than 40. Otherwise you might run your batteries down trying to get it to fire.Good luck.

M813A1

The 12v wire is for the glow plug make sure you hook it up in 12v or you will burn it out with 24v. Also it will make starting in cold weather a little easier with the glow plug working

DeuceIsLoose

Hi Gents, well the recovery went pretty well. I hooked up the truck with two freshly charged new batteries, but she wouldn't turn over all the way. Luckily I brought two more just in case and with all four she fired right up.

She's got a decent diesel leak I think from the injection pump, but ran fine. I need to spend a little more time investigating it. If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know.

Thanks a lot.

Bolkbich

When it gets cold (Below 25 degrees)2 GOOD batterys will crank an 8.3 cummins. It takes 4 good batterys to crank an 855(nhc250)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks