Steel Soldiers is supported by:
I hope to be there for Johns gathering. Here are a few more pics. I managed to break a window over the weekend. It has since been replaced. Taking the two passenger seats and makign one long seat.
Taking the windows out is extremely easy. Roll it down almost all the way. Pop the window regulator out of the bottom of the window frame (have to pull the "C" clamps off the back). Unscrew the window stops (looks like brass angle iron about 2" long). Then slide the window out. It gets easier once you pop the access panel off and can see exactly what I am talking about. Its a little easier with 2 people, just so you don't accidentally drop the window into the door.how hard was it to replace window?
A M923 only has a foot longer wheelbase.. (i measured one at the haspin rally) a M927/928 would get me closer.. but I dont have a problem having the frame welded (by a professional)jdknech- have you thought of just using a m923 chassis as starting platform? would have about right length stock to do a crew cab tractor, or heck tractor with sleeper built on 923 chassis might work.
A M923 only has a foot longer wheelbase.. (i measured one at the haspin rally) a M927/928 would get me closer.. but I dont have a problem having the frame welded (by a professional)
do you still have pics of this part of the build you could post where the cabs mate together from underneathwe thought about doing suicide doors with the rears of the cabs going together. yet with having a hardtop that we wanted to reuse, we would have to then stretch the rear of the cab. Still thinking of swapping the rear cab door jams for suicide doors, this way passengers could share the same set of steps.
The initial cab connection was done via the the 2x8, to get the cab close. We then mounted the rear cab bracket and attached the cab. Once the rear bracket was attached we used bottle jacks to level the front of the rear cab with the back of the front cab. Then 1x2 square stock was welded between the the two cabs. We used 5 peices, the length of the pieces came out to be approx 1 foot long. I placed a piece of sheet metal over the braces...I will try to get a pic from underneath.
I got my curved pieces of the roof yesterday and hope to finish the roof up today...with lots of pics.
After the interior is done with welding, I was thinking of using some exterior oil paint while mixing in some ceramic micro spheres for heat sound deadning.
We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!