• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 Door Hinge Issue

kennys@wi.rr.com

When I picked up the M923 from Sparta a few weeks ago I knew the driver's side door window was cracked. I was sad to find that some one had broke the passanger side after the auction. I looked closer and found the problem. The doors are not lined up correctly. It seems there is more room to the front than to the rear of the door. that causes the windows to hit against the new hard top. So upon further review Toddm discovered that the original door hinges were bent. Not an oops bend but more of a deliberate bend. That helped pull the door out so it would line up with the side of the cab, but not to the front. My question is where do I look more closely? Could the new hard top be installed incorrectly or could the cab be tweaked? It appears to be a new cab as well. I picked up a new door and window assembly for it, it was cheaper than buying just the window. So I even tried to swap out the hinges that came with the door. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am even debating taking the hinges in to be press bent about 1/16 to 1/8th of an inch. That's about all the room I need to make everything line up better.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I put a new passenger door on my deuce and had issues with it lining up. Wish I could offer some help, but I can't. I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see what everyone else offers.

I even loosened my bolts the hold the door AND the door jamb, lifted with a hi-lift jack, and tightened them back down. It helped a little, but not enough.

goldneagle

When I picked up the M923 from Sparta a few weeks ago I knew the driver's side door window was cracked. I was sad to find that some one had broke the passanger side after the auction. I looked closer and found the problem. The doors are not lined up correctly. It seems there is more room to the front than to the rear of the door. that causes the windows to hit against the new hard top. So upon further review Toddm discovered that the original door hinges were bent. Not an oops bend but more of a deliberate bend. That helped pull the door out so it would line up with the side of the cab, but not to the front. My question is where do I look more closely? Could the new hard top be installed incorrectly or could the cab be tweaked? It appears to be a new cab as well. I picked up a new door and window assembly for it, it was cheaper than buying just the window. So I even tried to swap out the hinges that came with the door. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am even debating taking the hinges in to be press bent about 1/16 to 1/8th of an inch. That's about all the room I need to make everything line up better.
You had the correct answer! It's the hardtop. The Cab frame is flexible. If you don't line up the doors when you install the hardtop the alignment can be off. It happened when we installed the hard top on my M109A2. Loosen up the large wingnuts that hold the windshield on the sides. Loosen the bolts that hold the hardtop to the cab and push or pull the top until the doors fit better. If you can get something to hold it there until you tighten the bolts on the hardtop and wingnuts on the windshield. Hopefully it will not move back once the bolts are tightened.

:grd:

kennys@wi.rr.com

GE, thank you for that bit of advice. I had a feeling it may be. Before I could drive it home I had to tighten all the bolts that hold the cab to the frame and the bed to the frame. in fact the bed slid back a little over 1/4" just from being driven around GL. I had to pick up a windshild frame hinge and install that before I was willing to drive it home as well. It was as though the pulled her in the middle of her makeover.

goldneagle

GE, thank you for that bit of advice. I had a feeling it may be. Before I could drive it home I had to tighten all the bolts that hold the cab to the frame and the bed to the frame. in fact the bed slid back a little over 1/4" just from being driven around GL. I had to pick up a windshild frame hinge and install that before I was willing to drive it home as well. It was as though the pulled her in the middle of her makeover.
Let us know how it works out...:grd:

kennys@wi.rr.com

Well it's been a bit warm and of course that work and family thing gets in the way of "fun time", but I finally got all the bolts out of the bottom of the hardtop. I slid it back as far as I could and loosened the windshield hinges and pulled as hard as I could. A hair better, but still no go. However, I am pleased to announce that not only is my hard top new but for sure the cab is as well. Yay for me. I am going to play with it another day and then out comes the press to tweak the hinges ever so slightly.

Csm Davis

Kenny try loosening the other set of bolts on the hardtop also, there's a lot of adjustment to get by loosening everything and then lining it all up, I have used some of the big ratchet straps to pull it all straight then lock it down not fun in the summer because somebody has to stay inside to lock the top down with all the windows closed

JBL

Kenny, Take the inner door panel off (access panel) and on the bottom of the window itself, the metal framing area, there are 2 galvanized looking L-brackets (one on each side) that are long slotted that have 2 small phillips head retaining bolts. they thread right into the metal framing of the window by where the regulator hooks on. Those 2 brackets are what adjust the maximum travel of the window to not go up as high or make it go up higher. that is what will stop from your window from going up so high and hitting your roof. Hope that helps!

Jeff

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks