• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m923 dump bed project

redrustyhill

Ever since I bought my m923 the plan was to put a dump hoist under the stock bed. I now have a complete m929 dump bed and subframe with hydraulics. (Missing PTO). I would still like to retain the cargo bed, so thinking of using hoist and subframe from the 929. I haven't seen anyone take this route on a dump conversion. It might be easier to chop a few feet off the back of the 923 and set 929 dump assembly on but would rather retain the longer cargo bed. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas either way? Anyone out there with a PTO?

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 923 that I converted into a dump. I retained the same bed and build a doghouse in the front for a vertical telescopic cylinder. We do a lot of hauling with the truck and the bed is not nearly as durable as it would need to be to continue at the current rate. I know the capacity is less on the actual dump bed but for longevity it may be better. Also I am not certain that he actual capacity of the 929 hoist as far as mechanical advantage goes. Aka maybe not enough to push a full cargo. Though I added nearly 3 feet to the sides of my truck.

Attachments

redrustyhill

What durability issues are you having with the cargi bed and what is it you haul?

The 929 hoist is definitely capable of more than I will be trying to haul. I need to haul gravel to build up our road. The 929 bed would be perfect for that but its just too small when bigger bed is needed.

I put a sub frame hoist under the bed of my m925a1. I've had nearly 10 yds of material on her with higher sides. I'd say at least 10 tons. Dumped it with out a problem.

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
image.jpgimage.jpg
What durability issues are you having with the cargi bed and what is it you haul?

The 929 hoist is definitely capable of more than I will be trying to haul. I need to haul gravel to build up our road. The 929 bed would be perfect for that but its just too small when bigger bed is needed.
I have hauled about 50 loads 15tons each loaded with a tractor with scales. I have also site hauled 18-20 tons of sand clay. When looking in mirrors you can see the bed bow pretty significantly in the middle. I also had to weld the fold down sides to the bed floor. Since there is nothing to hold the sides fasts when the tailgate is lowered they were bending out and you could not get the gate to latch. so I took a chain hoist an drew them back together and put four 6'' welds on both sides and its been fine ever since. I also added an additional door at the top of the rear to allow the bed to be filled to the top and mounded up. I know I was on the highest end of the beds capacity but I was just wanting to give my 2 cents.

Last edited:
The hoist I used was off of an municipal 5 yrd dump truck I got from my uncle. I'm trying to post the pictures of the install, but my phone isn't uploading the pix. The sub frame is only 10 ft long so I used some blocking to support the front of the bed on the trucks frame.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks