• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 External Battery Box Build

D3M0N

I recently purchased a M923A1 from Fort Drum and have been in the process of restoring the truck. After a paint job, one of the first modifications I wanted to do was an external battery box. I searched the internet and found one on a large internet auction site. The price was within reason, but the shipping was a little out in left field. I contacted the seller and they were unable to budge on their shipping price.

Being the resourceful Marine I am, I thought to myself "Heck, I think I can build on of these." I found a few pictures of the battery box and went to to town with my measuring tape. Took a few measurements and after about 2 hours wrestling with rusty hardware (I finally broke down and got out the Dremel), I freed the box from the truck and headed to my fab shop.

From the pictures, it appeared the battery box was the same size as the cargo box except taller. I decided to reuse the base plate and top, limiting the amount of fabrication and just make new sides out of 12 gauge sheet metal. The box was put together with what seemed like 400 spot welds which all got drilled out to separate the sides from the top and bottom. I had to TIG weld two sheets of 12 gauge to get the correct length for the sides and then cut it to the proper shape with the plasma torch. From there the sides got bent on the press break, I managed to get the weld seam on the fender side where it wont be seen.

Right now the box has been tacked up with with the TIG and tomorrow I'll finish welding it together with some plug welds. I plan on plug welding it with a MIG in the holes where the spot welds were drilled out, then grind it smooth. I still have to fabricate the shelf, door, second step and modify the top step.

I provided a few in progress pics and I will continue to update as progress is made. I just thought I'd share my experiences with the project.

AJ

Attachments

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HI Good fabbing you can ,just for info use an 809 5 ton box too, if closer maybe try hand at fabbing stuff for my M756A2.

AK47

Good idea, to get those batteries out of the cab. I've been wondering about the same thing, and going a pair of 4D's or 8D's in series for 24Volt, instead of those 4 6volt batteries that are a civilian oddball.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks