• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 front hub dilemna

Westex

I have an M923, 1997 vintage, with a caterpillar engine and allison push button tranny. It was an experimental truck I bought from wehring. Coming back from a trip recently, my front left hub was WAY hot. We have pulled it apart, and although I think the hub bearings are greased, the spline shaft coming through the spindle seems to be oiled, but not from the differential oil. There is some kind of oiler on the actual hub, and that's as far as I've gotten with this project. Anybody have a clue as to whether or not this is some kind of combination oil/grease front lube set up?

Westex

Would like to see some pics.
Will work on that today; I realize it's kind of a nebulous question, but I think I have a weird front axle, or I'm not seeing how the inner bearings that support the front drive shaft is lubricated. I'm 99% sure it is NOT from the differential oil. Pics to follow.

Westex

12-01-2012 download 017.jpg12-01-2012 download 018.jpg12-01-2012 download 019.jpg

Above pics show my question(s). First pic where the arrows are: what is the bolt cap on the hub between the arrows. Is this for adding grease? The hole goes straight down between 2 seals on the axle spindle. Second pic with the small arrows has us bewildered. What is the hole for?
The third pic shows what great fun I'm having with this project. Any special grease needed for that universal joint? Stuart.

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would be if the truck had CTIS, air would exit from that hole on the spindle to the hub on the 1st picture then out to the wheel. It is the same as my truck. Use high temp bearing grease.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would be if the truck had CTIS, air would exit from that hole on the spindle to the hub on the 1st picture then out to the wheel. It is the same as my truck. Use high temp bearing grease.
That is my think also on the CTIS.

Westex

That makes sense; I'm seeing it now. Since I have removed the CTIS system, can't I just do away with the 2 inner seals that seal off that CTIS hole in pic #2?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks