• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 Ft. Lee VA. to southern Ky.

engineer233

I won a M923 in Ft. Lee recently and the truck is too big for our trailer. My father-in-law has a fifth wheel wrecker I have access to . My question is this , if you were me would you tow the truck or just drive it the 500 miles home ? If I drive it what would be some ideas as what to take with me in case of a break down and if I tow it is there anything I need to do to the truck such as drop the rear drive shaft , etc ?

Nonotagain

Pull axles or remove drive shafts.

I used to pull axles as there was no chance at losing a high dollar u-joint with the associated hardware.

Since I didn't have to clean the rear wheels when delivered, the axle was the easy way to go. Plus you don't have to lay on the ground to do it.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drive the wrecker out and go through the 923 and if it's safe drive it home.

If you don't know enough about it to know then pull the axles and tow it back.

engineer233

I will probably pull the axles like you guys suggested. I haven't done this on one of these trucks . Is there anything different about these or anything I should know that may help ? The truck only showed 10,800 miles but then again you never know a brand new truck can have trouble. To me there isn't anything worse than being 400 or 500 miles away from home , brake down and have no close help.