• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 Installed wet kit and Hoist with auxilary hydraulics

charger53

After searching and researching my options for installing a dump hoist on my M923 I came up with all the components to install a PTO driven hydraulic pump and all the additional components to make the hoist and auxiliary hydraulics to run a dump trailer that I made from my 200 series generator trailer and a old 3 yard dump box I had on another truck. I thought it may be useful to someone to save a few bucks and see how I did the job. My total investment is in the range of $1800.00 including everything.

I chose to go with the PTO driven hoist because I want the option to run additional hydraulic operated equipment if the need should arise. I do also have a plow for the truck if I ever need to install it. I am sure I will be modifying my system as needed over time.

I purchased a wet kit from a person whom had it on craigslist after selling their m900 series and never installing it. Price was 500.00 and it was pretty much complete. Installing the PTO was a real job, It is a extremely tight fit and required a lot of trial and error to get it in the correct position. I did not have to move the trans in any way and no moving of mounts. The PTO drive shaft and pump was pretty much bolt in as was the controls and valve assembly. I did have to have a couple of hoses made to fit my system because the originals either did not fit or were missing. I am not sure everything is exactly where it belongs, but following the TM's and internet research I am sure everything is close to where it was designed to be. If anyone has suggestions or recommendations please post them. I did have to make a couple of brackets for the cables. The PTO control cable did not have one at all in the kit. The bolt that holds it in place is broken in the PTO and I did not feel I could remove it without doing damage to the PTO housing.

The hoist I used was purchased from a ebay seller whom manufactures trailer hoist kits. I contacted them and convinced them to sell me just the hoist. Price was just over 900.00 including shipping. The hinges were purchased from a internet seller whom manufactures them at a cost of 60.00 including shipping. The bed was removed from the truck with the help of a cousin and his large backhoe. I welded two 14 ft long pieces of 2" x 2" square tube to the frame rails of the bed for added strength and a bit more clearance for the hoist. We then placed the hoist in its final location, squared everything and welded in place. The remainder of hydraulic lines were run and fitted to the valve and hoist. Then the bed was placed back on the truck and squared. We fitted and welded the hinges on next. After hinges were welded we raised the hoist a little and determined its position on the bed frame. It was blocked in place and welded from underneath. (not easy to get to but can be done). After welding in place the bed was checked for operation then we fabricated the safety bar and welded it in place. Once the bar was in place and we determined it to be safe the bed was raised and all the welds and connections double checked and finished where needed.

I am sure there is more info I could provide and if anyone needs details on any step please feel free to let me know. I have been looking for the time to do a little write up in hopes of helping someone else wanting to do this, just have not had the time.

I am in need of a actual dump valve for this project if anyone has one available. I used the valve for the hydraulic winch, but it really does not work as well as it should and has no detents and a open center.

I will be posting a little write up on the trailer conversion to a dump as well when I have a few more minutes. I will post that in the trailer forum. It is complete and works very well.

Attachments

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice job. Which hoist did you go with? It looks like a "power hoist" brand. I would be very interested in knowing more about the hoist itself as I would like to add one to mine.

I am looking at the power hoist 620 or 625 but when I was doing some pre measuring based on info on their site, I thought there might be some interference with the articulation of the rear axle. It says the hoist hangs down 13" or something like that.

Have you had any significant weight on it yet?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am in need of a actual dump valve for this project if anyone has one available. I used the valve for the hydraulic winch, but it really does not work as well as it should and has no detents and a open center.
Are you saying the winch valve is in free flow back to the tank when in the center position? This makes sense because it does power a motor in stock configuration but wouldn't work well at all with a hoist (hoist will fall when you want it to hold).

You can pick up a tandem center valve at Northern Tool or the like for $100 or so. Just make sure you get one that is power beyond capable so you can add other hyd at a later date if needed.

charger53

I was hoping to find a "factory" valve for dump just so it would mount in the same location, but will most likely use the northern tool valve. I have had a full load of wet sand on it and had to raise the pressure in the valve with a stronger spring in the pressure relief on the valve. It was set around 1700 psi and the hoist is rated at 3500. It dumps a full load now.
The valve does not hold the dump up if you let go of the handle ;). The hoist is a power hoist PH-516. Fully lowered it sits centered in the frame of the truck at its lowest point behind the rear axle. Above the axle it is about 2 inches below the top of the frame rail.

Lukes_deuce

Came across this post looking up info for a dump hoist. Hows the hoist been working? Ive been looking at the power hoist brand and wanted to see how yours is holding up. Any pics of a load in the bed?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks