• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 just bought, wonder about mileage

idahosinker

WOW just got back, I am driving up RT93 to Twin Falls.

I MIGHT GET A GENERATOR, ORIGINALLY I was driving with one. But can't get another person. Think I will just buy 4 batteries, People say two group 27 will start them.
My dodge only has two. I know 12 volts. I never thought about the air dryer. I will look it up.
I am gambling. If it all goes bad I will call my son and have him bring the truck with tools.

idahosinker

12 hours and the engine was toast. OUCH. I bought two because I wanted one. I had low offer on one and set a high on the other. Well a half hour before the end a guy starts bidding them each up a $100 a shot , a hundred on one and,then $100 on the other. When he got them both to $5000 he quit. So I now own two A2's,
My low bid was just above $5000. I am hoping to maybe make a buck on the one I sell. I have a friend that will buy it for what I have in it. Thats just under $6000 per truck. Auction fee and 8% NV sales tax.
My wife is not to upset, really.
I figure a 4 wheeler cost $7000-$9000 for a good one. How many friends can you take 4 wheeling on a 4 wheeler. Not many.
How many in a M923 ? depends on how much beer is in the back.
Beside you don't have to go around a lot of trees with a M923. I thing my first upgrade with canvas for the bed. There is a m35 for sale with a slid in camper in the back. All painted in Camo. Its on Craigs List in Boise. That how this all started.
Do you think they might start flooding the market with M1078's. I really want one.

dburt

Actually that 'M35" on Craigslist in Boise is my 5-ton M813 w/w, I did have an M35 at one time, but that was a few years ago.
Now if this whole deal of yours goes sour for some reason, please don't blame me for starting all this adventure you are having, I don't want your wife or other family members or friends looking me up to place the blame on me!:shrugs:

Post some pics of the trucks when you get them home!

Do I understand that the one truck with low hours has a bad engine?? Did you get it home, or have to leave it enroute?

mcmullag

I picked up a NVNG M923a2 from Nellis in July. Rebuilt by KS sustainment unit Ft. Riley in 2007, the engine tag said engine built by Dresser 2006. I guess Dresser rebuilt it. Drove the truck home 860 miles no problem. I sold it in December. It was a very nice truck. Let us know what happened to the engine.

Rifleman

The best thing to do, to find the correct price for your "extra" truck would be compare your truck with other trucks for sale in the S.S. classified section. Look for trucks with the same amount of miles and equipment as yours and price your's the same. Why don't you just buy a premium membership here on S.S. that way you could offer your truck for sale to other members in the classified section.

idahosinker

I got both trucks home. Was a pretty good trip. Not perfect.
GL jumped one truck that I was putting battery,s in, they wanted me out as they go home at 2pm.
Pulled that one over next to the base MPs and let it run to see if the batteries would charge. Big mistake. Took out the generator. Installed 4 batteries. Group 27 that I returned to Walmart when I got home, one would not hold a charge. Drove all around LV and bought a battery charger and small gas generator. Plan to strap the generator to the tool box and charge batteries on the fly. The other truck had new batteries installed in 2012 and they charge up.

About 40 miles out of LV I pulled over to check tire and bearing temps.
Freaked out as the driver side forward rear axel was leaking at the tire wheel, were the air comes out of the center cone. I thought this is it, $3000 in tow bills etc.

In Nowear NV.

Well a miracle happened , two young guys in a hot new Camera pull over. They had started gambling 0400 and just were headed home to Boise, same as me.
The one guy had bought many GL trucks and sold them. he like mine, Showed him my leak, and he said don't worry its a little one, I had one much larger. You should be fine.
Said he would buy it on the spot. I am pretty sure he had the money on him.
I had no title other wise I would have, He was going to have his buddy and him drive it back.
We I cleaned up the spill and took off , when I would pull over to check it it was not that bad. Got Ely for the night, put the no generator truck on the charger with power from the hotel. Next morning its snowing and my companion could not get rolling bill 0930, i was ready at 0720.
Found a garage that for $20 topped off the axel with 2 pints. Yes!, we drove home ( 12 hours) and the last two and half hours with headlights. The 4 batteries did the job.

Its impossible to fill two truck in less that 30 min as you always half to go inside for some reason. Every time. Card will only allow $100, next will not take it, wait with all the other people etc.
Also my soft top stitching was dry rotted. It started to separate in the 100mph head winds you get in Northern NV. I have found that no matter which direction you drive, East or West, they always blow on your nose. One hand on the top and one on the wheel. Ended up with 4 straps from the hood over the top to keep it from ripping off.
Can it be resown? Cant take it off with the rain right now..

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes it can be resown. I took one of mine to the local boat repair place But it may cost you almost as much as a new top. Mine was close.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been there and done that with the top coming off in front, holding with one hand and driving with the other. Heavy black Gorilla Tape will fix it and looks just fine. You'll have to replace it maybe once a year. Restitch around the rear window with fishing line.

Or spend $300ish on a new soft top.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks